Ten- When September Ends

''I've heard stories," he began, looking at nothing in particular, "Of people going mad and running away into the woods." He looked up at his mother sitting next to him. "Are there really evil spirits there?"

"Let me tell you a story then, Ahote, about the Two Wolves of man." She pulled him into her lap, and his brother joined him, curling close together to have enough room. "Everyone has two wolves fighting inside of them. One is evil- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego."

"And madness?" one of the boys asked. She smiled.

"Yes, and madness. But most of all he is hate and violence. The other, the other is good- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humanity, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. Most of all he is understanding. The ones who are mad leave in search of the evil wolf, for they fed him and he won and has promised them many wicked things should they find him. And in those woods they perish, taking the evil with them and leaving only the good for the rest of us."

"I'll make sure I feed the good one," Ahote said. His statement was followed with a yawn.

"Yeah..." Matoskah was already starting to nod off. Sani stood, both boys in her arms, and made her way back into their home in their village, putting them to bed without disturbing them.

"Those boys have not yet grown, Sani," one of the village elders addressed her when she came back out of the animal-skin flaps.

"I know. They do not look like they will, either."

"Do you think they will replace you?" They met each others eyes steadily, both very old and very wise. "With these new White Men invading your lands to the east, your time may very well end."

"I have walked these lands for many, many years. Longer than most. If they do, and I die, I want them to do good by me, and by all of you." She looked up to the stars. "Let's just hope I can prepare them enough before my sun sets for the last time."

---------

The gloves on his hands were too big, but not enough to warrant getting a new pair. Just enough to make things awkward and uncomfortable while he worked.

Ever since his maybe-encounter with his brother, he's kept himself constantly at work, sometimes helping with research, sometimes organizing recon parties to look for more resources, sometimes just doing things as little as record-keeping. So long as he couldn't think, he didn't care.

He finished with his task, the last thing he had to do for the day, and stepped down off of the ladder. Alfred pulled the gloves off, tucking them in the band of his tool belt, and turned, looking for the project director. "Anything else I can do?"

"You need to take a break, son. You've been working with me nonstop for almost three weeks now, and I don't even think you're sleeping at night. Go rest." He looked like he was about to object, but the stern look on the man's face silenced that quickly enough.

He departed to his unit, grumbling all the way. Great, now he would have to find something else to do. When he got back, he opened the door and was immediately greeted with someone sitting on his bed, back to the door, crouched over something in their lap.

"Can I help you?" he asked, taking a step into the room. He didn't recognize the person. "Usually if people need me they go to the center building and call."

The person straightened, but didn't turn around. It was a woman, long dark hair cascading down her back like a waterfall. Slowly, she stood and turned to him, still holding something in her hands, and she smiled. Her presence felt old, far older than anyone else he had ever met before. But she didn't look much older than he.

Then she began to speak, in a tongue he'd thought he'd forgotten. "Ahote, It's been so very long since I've seen you, and I almost cannot believe how you've grown."

He forgot how to breath. Forgot how to move. But he didn't forget how to speak. "Are- are you who I think you are?"

"Yes, my child." She held out her hand, and from it dangled a leather string with a few beads and a feather attached to the end. He recognized the piece immediately.

Somehow, he made it to the other side of the room without having told his body to move. They were the same height, so when their eyes met, they met evenly. Gently, he took the delicate little thing from her. He could feel the heat from her hand, and their skin brushed just for a moment. "You're really here," whispered, tears gathering at the corners of his eyes.

"Of course, Ahote. But not for long. I must be leaving again soon." She took his trembling figure into her arms, pulling him close to her chest as she had always done all those years ago. He sobbed into her shoulder, returning the embrace as best he could.

Soon he felt something change. The air in the room no longer felt weighed down with the many years of an ancient, and he was left alone once again.

In his hand he still held the small ornament, white feather still crisp and clean.

~*~*~*~
yes i know Sani is a male name, but it means 'the old one' (navajo), and i believe that she would have been a shape-shifter (i believe they're called skinwalkers? i cant remember), so gender of the name would not have mattered because her gender wouldnt have always remained the same.

also i tried to keep the names/story/behavior as authentic as i could, but if you see any problems please please please dont be afraid to point it out to me, and i'll correct it.