Chapter 9

**Devin's POV**

"Devin, are you sure these shirts will fit them?" My mom asked me as she put the three matching shirts in separate boxes.

"Yes, Mom." I sighed for the hundredth time. Mom insisted the boys have a first birthday party. And, since Matt and I didn't know anyone, she invited every toddler and parent from the day care center in town. What fun!? Note the sarcasm.

"Are you sure we have to do this, Mrs. Peters?" Matthias asked from his spot on the floor where he was wrapping a pack of Matchbox cars.

"Why are you two so unenthusiastic!? Look at the boys! They're ecstatic! You should be, too." She insisted.

We all looked at the boys. Miserable is a good way to describe how their faces looked. They sdt on their blanket, dressed in the ridiculous sailor suits Mom wanted them to wear. They were all the same in design, but different in color. Drew's green, Ben's blue, and Cayd's yellow.

I felt bad for them. "That's enthusiasm?" I asked.

She shruged as Ben pulled on the collar of the itchy looking shirt and Cayd started crying from his discomfort. Matt laughed as I leaned over and shoved a pacifier into the squealing child's mouth.

"Devin, did you call and order in the cake?" My mom asked me as she got up and walked over to Matt. She bent down and snatched the toy cars out of his hands. She ripped the poorly wrapped paper off of the box and threw it at him. He stared up at her, mouth open in shock. "You suck at this." She said matter-of-factly.

Oh, Mom! I laugh to myself. "Yes, ma'am, I ordered the cake. Matt was just going to pick it up. Isn't that right, Matt?"

He growled at me, but reluctantly got up. He walked out the front door, but not before childishly sticking his tongue out at me.

Cute.

"Devin! Stop staring at nothing and take these gifts to my car. I told everyone at the day care center to be at the park by three. It's 1:30!" My mother's voice cut into my thoughts. Good thing, too 'cause there's no way those thoughts were going anywhere good.

I got up and picked up all the boxes of clothes she'd decorated. I still couldn't believe she was making us do this. We didn't even know more than three of the people coming to this toddler party! I was just ready to get it over with.

I took all the presents downstairs to her Chevy Tahoe, and made my way upstairs. The minute I walked into the living room I was hit with this annoying noise that was the voice of my mother. I would never understand how I was able to live in the same house as that woman for eighteen years. Oh, well. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

She might be better if she could stop talking for more than seven second intervals, I'd admit, but amazing nonetheless!

After ten more minutes of nagging about how we needed to leave, we loaded the boys into the car and began the noisy trip to the park. I sent a text to Matt telling him to meet us there before putting the car in reverse and backing out of the parking lot.

Six minutes of Mom's backseat-driving and I was ready to kill her.

We finally arrived at our destination. May I stress the word finally!?

Once the boys were settled onto a blanket in the grass, I put the paper table clothes on the public picnic tables, sat down, and waited for Matt to get here.

When Mom realized he was late, she rained questions on me until he finally pulled into the park's small parking lot. Can I just say, I've never wanted to choke an old woman more in my life?