Chapter 16

**Devin's POV**

"Go get the door." Matt groaned into my ear.

"Hmm...?"

"Someone's at the door. Go see who it is." He stighed, cuddling against my back.

"How am I supposed to do that when you're holding me down?" I chuckled.

Grudgingly, he untangled his body from mine and replaced the covers back over himself. I walked across the room and pulled some gym shorts over my boxers and made my way to the living room. "Wait! Dev, come back!"

I sighed but turned around. He gestured with his finger for me to come closer. Rolling my eyes, I walk closer to the bed. Before I could comprehend what was happening, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me down. My lips crashed onto his and the shock subsided as his hand came to my neck, deepening the kiss. A slight moan escaped my lips and he pulled away as the knocking became more frantic. He smirked at my disappointed expression before rolling back over.

I growled inwardly and turned back for the door. Whoever that is, better have a damn good excuse!

Glancing at the clock, I yelled back to Matt. "Get up and get ready for work!" Opening the door, I found Regan walking down the stairs. "Hey, Regan, what's up?" I called to stop her departure.

She turned back around. "Oh, hey, Devin. I figured you guys were gone or something."

"Nah, Matt's getting ready for work, but I'm here pretty much all the time. Did you need something?"

"Um... I was just gonna see if I could see the boys for a bit before I go to work." She explained uncertainly.

I opened the door wider to allow her entrance. "Sure, I'll just get them up. They're probably awake by now anyway." I shrugged.

She followed me silently into the nursery.

"Dev, who was at the do--?" Matt stopped mid sentence when he saw Regan standing beside me in the nursery. His startled expression turned into a glare as they stared each other down.

"What are you doing here?" He asked quietly.

"I just thought I'd stop by and see the boys..."

Matt looked at me and caught my glare, which obviously stopped him from whatever he was about to say. He closed his lips and left the room.

"He really hates me, doesn't he?" Regan asked sadly.

"I don't think he hates you," I insisted. "I think he needs to grow up a little before he realizes, that you did what you thought was best when the boys were born."

She searched my face, trying to find sincerity there. She nodded slightly before turning back to the boys in the cribs. Drew and Ben were alert and staring up at their company, but Cayd was still asleep. We would have known otherwise, he announces his awakening every morning with never ending squalls.

I reached over the rails and lifted Drew up. "He's the only one you didn't get to hold yesterday."

"How can you tell them apart?" She asked in wonder.

I shrugged. "Just got used to 'em."

She looked down at him, studying his features. All three boys looked nearly identical to Matt, but Regan's features could be found. They all shared her nose and the heart shape of their faces.

"Which one is this?" She hesitantly asked.

"Andrew."

I heard the front door slam shut and I winced. Matt must be pretty angry. He didn't even come to tell the boys goodbye.

Andrew's face broke out into a grin and he giggled. Regan's expression softened. She smiled down at the boy and suddenly began to cry.

I felt my forehead crease with concern. "What's wrong!?"

She snuffled. "I just can't believe I've missed so much of their lives already." She pulled Drew closer to herself. "I'm so fucking stupid..." she said quietly, continuing to coddled him.

I wrapped my hand around her shoulder comfortingly. "Don't be so hard on yourself, Regan. You can always make up for it by staying in their lives now."

"I can't make up for what I've missed. Plus, you and I both know that Matthias doesn't want me around."

"He'll warm up to the idea. He's just still mad, because he feels like you abandoned them-- which, you didn't. You're still their mother, Regan. They need you."

She simply continued to grip her baby boy and cried for what she'd taken away from all of them. Herself included.

***

**Matt's POV**

I can't believe Regan had the gall to show up at my house at ten in the morning to see my kids! Yes, mine!! She gave up rights to them when she wouldn't even lay eyes on them the day they were born! They were mine! My sons were everything to me and she thinks she can just prance in and take them?! No!

I don't care if Devin thinks I need to-- what were his words? "Grow up a little." I'm not the one that needs to grow up! I'm grown enough to be a father while she's off doing Oprah knows what and pretending she didn't have triplets that needed her!!

But, they didn't need her anymore. They have me and Dev. We're not perfect, but we're the best parents we can be. Unlike the woman Devin's inviting into our lives.

And you know what, if he thinks we need her, maybe I don't need him.

_____________________

Uh-oh. :o I don't like this Matt! >.< It actually bothered me to write him all crazed like that... O.o