Chapter Twenty Three

Jocelyn tugged on the bodice of the black lacy dress Daisy had convinced her to buy. Granted, the dress was tastefully designed, but it did nothing to cover the amazing display of her cleavage.  It also didn't help matters that her mother had designed the dress.

"Quit looking so glum. I'm sure Shane would like to dip his head in that amazing cleavage," Daisy pouted, trying to fix Jocelyn's hair.

Jocelyn groaned. "That's what I'm avoiding."

Daisy scoffed, patted Jocelyn's hair, then shifted away from the mirror. "You look great. I'll go find Eric for a little love play, be good," Daisy waved, easing out of the room almost exactly the same time Shane slipped in.

She stood, face flushed, then turned to face him. "Hi."

Shane gave her the once over. His eyes almost crossed when his gaze lingered on the bodice of her dress. He walked towards her. "I've barely seen you since the morning of yesterday. Are you avoiding me?" He stroked her chin.

She shivered at his touch, but didn't move back. "Why would I?"

His eyes darkened, he shook his head then removed his hand from her face, tucking it into his slacks. "You look great. Are you comfortable with the shoes? Your injuries and all?"

She wouldn't admit it to anybody that it was her first time in heels this high, or that her wounds were protesting. If she was going to play the part as Shane's wife, she had to get used to hours in uncomfortable clothes and shoes. She already knew many people would be judging and dissecting her every move. She could already imagine the looks she would be getting. Daisy had said that most of Shane's employees were stuck up, power-driven assholes and bitches, and to not let them see her falter; those were her exact words.

"I'm good. Are we set to go down?" She was grateful that he had changed the location for the event. So instead of gathering in the large hall in his office building, they had gathered in the hall in the first floor of the apartment complex. It was very convenient for her, she could always slip away whenever she got tired of boring business talks.

Shane nodded. "I need to get something from my study. I'll be down in a moment."

Jocelyn walked into the kitchen, intent on finding Daisy. A tall blonde was sitting at the kitchen counter, a glass of wine in hand. She turned when she heard Jocelyn come in. Jocelyn immediately wished the lady hadn't. She put Josie's simple black dress to shame with her little red number. The dress was almost like a second skin, hugging her wonderful curves. Jocelyn was sure she had never seen anyone as curvy as the woman without them being at least carrying a few extra pounds.

She eyed Jocelyn for a moment. "I'm guessing you are the Josie everyone's talking about. You don't look as good as the rumors claimed." She crossed her leg.

Jocelyn frowned, "Who are you? And how did you get into my house?" The only people who had the key cards to the top floor was she and Shane.

The woman scoffed, bringing out and waving a key card around. "Right, your house. Don't worry your tiny little head about that, you ain't getting any of it. Cause I'm the only one getting married to Shane."

Jocelyn didn't need someone else to tell her exactly who the woman was. "Ava?" If this was the woman Shane had been in love with, she didn't see how they could announce the engagement. One look at Ava and Shane would forget who Josie even was.

The woman stood up, then beamed at Jocelyn. "Avalon D'vyne. I think you should get the hell out of here."

Jocelyn stared at Ava for a moment, then turned to walk away. She slammed into a hard chest.