Chapter Three

"What?" Jocelyn exclaimed.

"The government refuses to fund the orphanage. They sold out to us, but we need the land for something worthwhile," a Mr Parker was explaining to Ian and a furious Jocelyn. He was a representative for the company that was sending the orphanage away and he'd just implied that the orphanage wasn't worthwhile. Furious was an understatement for how she was feeling, her face felt hot, and her palms were sweating badly.

Jocelyn wondered how people could be so cruel. He was talking about turning twenty four kids out onto the street as if it was normal to him.

Her mind ran to her own parents. She had experienced cruelty at an early age. It was no surprise to her any longer.

"And where would they move to?" Ian quietly tried to reason with the Parker guy.

"The matron should have something in mind," he leaned back in his chair. He looked very relaxed. He was probably going to get a raise out of the whole situation, while kids would go homeless and possibly starve.

"But she doesn't," Jocelyn ground out, her eyes darkening in anger. The man turned to her, he shifted a little at the look on her face, then quickly covered it with a shrug.

"What if we buy the orphanage?" Ian asked.

He laughed, while Jocelyn ground her teeth. "Do you have a couple million dollars sitting around somewhere?" he asked after his laughter subsided.

"No," Ian whispered.

"I didn't think so. If you do, then come see me some other time. If you don't, be gone in a week," he replied, then waved his hand towards the door.

"You will be hearing from us," Ian said. His voice lacked their usual vigor. He stood up to go with Jocelyn following behind him.

"I can't get that money in a whole lifetime," Ian whispered once they were out.

"We'll take a loan," Jocelyn replied looking straight ahead. She was already knee deep in debt, but she couldn't sit and fold her arms.

"I can't. I already have my students loan to pay off. I'm scared, Josie. How are you so calm?" There was sweat beading on his forehead, his breath heaved out of him in loud, short gasps. His hands tightened and released at his sides.

Jocelyn turned to look at him. "I have to be, Ian. For everyone."

"But..." his voice faded.

Jocelyn's eyes widened in fear as she watched Ian try to breathe in, it was taking him longer to inhale and exhale. She held his shoulders, squeezing tightly to get him to focus. "Breathe, Ian. You are fine. We'll be fine. I'll come up with something. Just breathe, okay?"

Ian nodded.

"Okay, breathe with me," Jocelyn slowly breathed in and then out. Ian obediently breathed with her as she counted to ten. It hurt to see Ian this way, usually he was the one who stood up for her and helped her calm down whenever she was having a panic attack or just freaking out. He was the only one who had an inkling of the pain she passed through daily, so seeing him so weak and tired, made her weak and defeated too.

"Thanks. I love you Josie, thank you," he pulled her in for a hug. As usual Jocelyn couldn't hug him back. Memories assaulted her as he hugged her tightly. She patted his back, then balled her hands into fists to keep from pushing him away.

"It's OK, Ian. I need to get to work," she muttered. Ian let go of her reluctantly.

"I'm here for you, Josie. Remember, I'm the big brother. Right?" Ian asked trying to lighten the mood.