Chapter Twelve

Shane was glad his mother turned in early for bed, he had been waiting for her to bring out the 'beloved mama's questionnaire'. The woman was rather wary when it came to relationships, especially since his father had made a mockery of the institution of marriage, even to the point of bringing his conquests home.

His mother had had a hell of a time hoping for once he'd rethink his actions, much to Shane's chagrin. It wasn't until they had found out his dad had another family away from them that Maria had signed the divorce papers. It was going to be hard convincing his mother that Jocelyn wouldn't hurt him and he wouldn't hurt her. His past with Ava didn't help either.

Shane watched Jocelyn pick at her food after his mother left. She looked uncomfortable now that they were alone.

She cleared her throat, then carefully laid down her fork and knife.

"You're a good cook," she looked down at the plate. "I didn't know you could cook. Which brings us to the discussion we are about to have."

Shane eyed her bent head, not sure where she was going with the conversation.

"Okay. I'm listening."

She whipped her head up, and looked straight into his eyes.

Shane found it creepy that she had looked shy and skeptical about this conversation in the first place, and then in an instant, she was staring at him head on. He was intrigued with the way she swung moods so easily and still managed to look calm with each of them. Most women didn't even look at his face when they talked to him, except they were flirting with him.

"I don't know anything about you. You don't know anything about me. How is this supposed to work?" She waved her hand between them.

"Everything you need to know about me, you can get it off the internet," Shane smiled. If that was what the conversation was about, he had no qualms getting to know Jocelyn. It would proof rather interesting.

Jocelyn sighed, "I don't think you get my point. I'm supposed to be marrying you in a few weeks. I don't think information from the internet is what people expect to hear from couples. They want something different. Something real. Besides, your mother's known you all your life. What would she make of someone who doesn't know her son's birthday or favorite food."

Shane rolled his eyes. All the things Jocelyn had mentioned could be found on the internet. "So? What's your point?"

"For someone as educated as you, you are pretty dumb. And slow."

Shane sighed. It was the second time someone was calling him dumb in the space of a week. "Okay. I'm very busy at work. But I can devote thirty minutes everyday for getting to know each other," he said with air quotes.

"Great. Now, can we go to bed? I'm incredibly tired."

Shane smiled, "Of course we can go to bed."

Jocelyn bent to slip off her shoes. "I don't think we mean the same thing, baby boy." She stood up, picking her shoes and then stretched, "Besides there will be a curtain divide."

Shane groaned, "Not you too. Wait, what's a curtain divide?"

He picked up the plates from the table and stacked them in the dishwasher. Jocelyn followed his lead, picking up glasses with her free hand.

"You'll see," was Jocelyn's muttered response.

* * *

Jocelyn paced the length of the huge bathroom in Shane's room. She realized only now how stupid she was.
Only her would forget packing at least an overnight bag for a one week stay.