Maradalu Meets Amma

Jai stood at the mezzanine of his duplex home looking down at the drawing room where his mother and Vennela sat chit chatting and also making his Sunday Brunch ready. Since it was Sunday, the pace of the day was slow and lazy and he did not want to change it anyway. He stood observing as Vennela spoke Animatedly to his mother about how she did some super stunt and did something and at last how her mother came and gave a smack on her head for behaving like stupid. His mother laughed.

In all these years, he has never seen his mother like this. His mother smiles, she enjoys, But laugh? He never saw her do that and now thanks to his Maradalu Vennela, he got to see this side of his strict in business always mother.

"Athaiyya! Tell me your secret na.. You look more like Bava's sister than Mother.. How do you do that?"

Jai chuckled. Trust her to say something like this. His mother laughed.

"Vennela! Nuvvu mari.."

"I am serious! You are giving complex to girls like me."

"You look like that moon itself Vennela!"

His mother said pinching her chin making Vennela smile.

"Yeah Yeah! Moon!"

Jai said as he descended the staircase and sat beside the ladies taking the Sunday newspaper.

"Jai! Why are you troubling her?"

"Me? Look at her. She is only sitting there with a face that looks like overblown balloon."

"Athaiyya! Tell him I am not talking to him. Come lets make brunch. I am hungry!"

"Vennela! Forget it na.. Its been more than 4 days ra."

"So? He forgot to wake me up, let me embarrass myself in front of you with my sleepy face and now look at him sitting there happily enjoying his paper and making fun of me.."

Vennela showed her tongue to Jai who looked at her from behind the newspaper. Jai's eyes grew intense.

This girl never understands the effect she has on him. He kept the paper and walked to his room. But stood at the door watching Vennela.

"Vennala.. why rile him up ma?"

"He is no less athaiyya"

Latha just smiled shaking her head and went inside with the cut vegetables. Jai could not take his eyes from those lips of Vennela that pouted, stretched in smile, became pinched when she was angry. His insides went crazy as his eyes rested on her eyes that were full of life. They were so sharp. Kaatu Kallu.

But there was a softness behind that sharpness. He sighed. He was going to have tough time putting up with this girl who was his maradalu.

"Vennela!"

"Vache Athaiyya!"

Vennela ran leaving his plans there on the drawing board which she was observing and ran into kitchen. He held his head and went inside sighing.

But then stopped hearing his amma talk.

"How is the situation in there Vennela? Still people are fighting?"

This was the first time he heard his mother speak about their village in the 4 days Vennela was here. He waited to listen what Vennela could say.

"When Mavaiyya is there? No chance. Just like him, the whole village should be peaceful on his watch. No other way."

Jai smiled. Vennela was the one person who could give this comfort to his mother and make her believe about everything in the village.

"Do you cook?"

With the way his mother asked the question he knew that she was convinced. He smiled. Vennela was good for him.