Chapter Eight

People started talking.

They do little else.

 -------

 “There’s been another.”

John blinked, adjusting the straps on his book bag. “Another what?”

Sherlock’s lips curled, eyes glowing. “Murder.

-------

Sherlock was practically vibrating, talking a mile a minute in John’s ear, fingers moving erratically in the air.

There’s been another murder.

“And how the hell do you know this?” John had asked earlier, brow raised skeptically. “Seriously. There hasn’t been any news about it. No one is talking about murder. Nothing.”

And Sherlock grinned, stopping in the hallway and causing students to divide on either side of them, pointing down the lockers and towards the glass office. “See that man?”

John cocked his head, looking up and over the head of other students. “Uh...I think. Grey hair?”

Sherlock nodded giddily, leaning down to whisper. “That’s Detective Inspector Lestrade from Scotland Yard. Why would he be at our school?”

“I don’t know…Maybe some, you know, awareness thing?”

Sherlock snorted, “Hardly. He’s never shown his face here before. Obviously, something endangering has happened. He’s come to inform us. Murder.

-------

  “Everyone, everyone, please calm down.” a dainty, older woman stood in front of the podium, trying to smile despite the news that was about to be bared. “Now, you have all been called here for an very important reason. Please, turn off all mobile devices and give Detective Inspector Gregory Lestrade your undivided attention.”

Sherlock grinned, leaning forward off the step of the bleachers, eyes glowing.

And John, well, John resisted the urge to grab him by his collar, yank him back and properly scold him for being excited about something like this. (If there was something as grotesque as murder happening.)

The man, Lestrade, stepped up to the podium, thanking Mrs. Hudson kindly before fixing the microphone and clearing his throat. “Good afternoon, to you all.” he paused, waiting for a response John knew he wouldn’t get, then shifted awkwardly on stage. “Alright, then.” he pulled at his tie and John heard Sherlock mutter a quiet ‘get on with it’ beside him. “Okay,” he cleared his throat once more. “I am here to inform and warn you all. There has been a recent discovery of a body in an abandoned building three miles from here.” the crowd erupted in collective gasps of horror and murmurs. “Please, please. We just want to advise you all for your safety.” he shifted his weight from foot to foot, looking around. “There will be some...new rules for the next few months.” he paused once again, waiting patiently for the students exclamations to reside. “Nothing major. Just be sure to always be with somebody else when you leave school. And please try to get in before dark.” he waited once again for the groans to fall silent before nodding and stepping away.

“What?” Sherlock jumped beside John, causing him to collide with the unlucky student on his left. “That can’t be it. He isn’t going to tell us more? There’s been a bloody murder and he isn’t going to tell us more?”

Some other students stared at him, lips curled and the word ‘freak’ on the tip of their tongue, before John managed to pull him down and whisper in his ear. “Mind keeping your voice down?”

The curly haired boy blinked questionly, brows furrowed, eyes flickering around them quickly. “Not good?”

John glanced around them as well, flinching when he made eye contact with the dark skinned brunette (Sally Donovan). “Bit not good, yeah.” he mumbled, releasing his grip on Sherlock’s arm slowly.

Sherlock looked confused, but shook it off, standing once they were dismissed. “But there is more, John. It’s connected to Carl-” John shot him a warning look and he dropped his voice to a low whisper. “-it’s connected to Carl Powers’ untimely death. It has to be.”

“Or,” John allowed other students to crowd past them, keeping a wary eye out for anyone eavesdropping. “Or it has nothing to do with it at all.” he pointed out, brow cocked. “Ever think of that?”

Sherlock scoffed at him, standing to his full height and brushing off his cardigan. “Of course I have. But that is just the most obvious of many choices.”

“Many choices.” John repeated back dumbly, because what other choices could there possibly be?

“Yes. I think we might have our hands on a potential serial killer.” the dark haired boy grinned. “Oh, serial killers are always the most fun.”

------

 “We’re doing what?” John asked once more and Sherlock growled in frustration, turning on heel to face him as he walked backwards through the halls.

“Christ, John, must I repeat myself always?”

John fixed him with a pointed glare, zipping up his jacket. “Yes, when you speak complete bat-shit crazy to me.” the shorter boy snapped. “You just bloody told me that we are going to trespass on a crime scene of all places tonight. Tonight. Tonight where I could be doing bloody homework at home, because it is a school night and that’s what students do on school nights. They don’t walk in, unannounced to a crime scene where they get their heads kicked in!”

“Homework? Dull,” Sherlock smile slightly, turning forward again. “Admit it, a crime scene is much more interesting than homework.”

John gave him a long suffering sigh, then answered. “Yeah, I suppose it is.”

Sherlock shot him a bright grin, facing forward again. “That’s what I thought.”

------

((A/N: Not happy with this chapter. it's short and crappy and I'm honestly thinking about deleting this one and starting it again. Tell me what you think?))