Chapter One

When I looked into his eyes for the first time, I couldn’t help myself from thinking, ‘Jesus-I can see the galaxy.’ Of course, I quickly deleted the thought altogether, a high flush spreading across my cheeks as he glanced my way and just smirked.

   Damn him.

---------

    The first time they meant was inevitable from the start, really.  

Now, you must understand. There were several other ways they could have meant. Much more interesting ways, something extraordinary, because, to be honest, these two boys were anything but ordinary. So, it only makes sense that they meet in the most ordinary way possible, correct?

--------

    He was new.

       He absolutely hated being new to a school.

    Not that it was quite difficult for him, if he were to be honest. He made friends easily and teachers tended to like him (his mum said it was because of his ‘boyish charms’, whatever the hell that was). He was a fairly intelligent child, a bit above average, with a warm smile and trusting eyes. He was pleasant to be around and kids were constantly around him.

  If anyone should hate being new to school, it should be his older sister. She was in trouble frequently, either from bad mouthing her teachers or being caught making out in the back of the library with her newest girlfriend (their mum swears she’s just going through a phase and his sister would humor her, repeatedly saying the same lie ‘This year is gunna be different, swear it, Mum.’ And, for some reason, their mum always believed it.) (But, sometimes, he sees his mother’s face after she leaves and thinks,  She knows, she knows it’s just a lie. And, in those times, he knows his mum blindly accepts his sister’s lies just to humor her. It’s quite an odd exchange to witness.) Yet, she loves it. Is excited for it as she dresses in uniform in the morning, unbuttoning the top buttons of her blouse and pulling her blond hair up in a messy ponytail and winking at him. “‘Nother new year, Johnny.” she will say, ruffling his already sleep ridden hair and cackle as he pushes her away.

  And he hates her saying that. It wasn’t another new year. It would be the same year again, just at a different school with different students and teachers. There would still be tests and lunches and classrooms. New faces, same people.

  He hated being new to a school. Because nothing ever changed, so why should it be considered new?

-------

   “I’ll pick you up right here, okay? Don’t be wanderin’ off or mum will kill me and then I’ll have to come back and murder you.” Harry poked his chest with just enough force him to make him wince.

  “Yeah. Right. Meet you here, after school.” he rubbed his chest, imagining a bruise underneath his vest that actually wasn’t there.

  She gave another firm nod, then offered half a smile, just a simple tilt of her lips. “Have fun, Johnny Boy.”

  Before he could retort with a glare and one of his infamous ‘I’m not five anymore Harriet’ speeches, she turned on heel and strutted off down the pavement, shoulder bag slapping against her hips. He made a face at her back, then glanced over his shoulder, a heavy sigh escaping him.

  Here we go again.

---------

    “John Watson.”

His head snapped up as he fumbled with his schedule paper, finally pressing it against his chest. A rather bloated bellied, ginger teen approached him, the air around him heavy with the simple words ‘I am better than you’. He swallowed thickly, adjusting the strap on his shoulder and standing a bit straighter.