Flame 5-In this Life

Hey! Two chapters within minutes of each other...Aren't I great? Jk. Please be sure to listen to the song at the right as it is absolutely my inspiration for this chapter. Being an only child, I grew up on my parents choice of music...country. So please bare with me and just listen to the song. Please. Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

Flame 5-In this Life

                I took Maya out the back door to avoid her father and then I found Jake sitting in his hummer. “Twenty bucks to leave and give me the keys.” I said holding the bill out to him.

                “Sure man, I have an errand to run anyway,” He tossed me the keys and walked away without taking my money. Since when did Jake run errands? I got in and for the first time since I injured my leg I drove. It took a minute to adjust but once I did, I was fine and it didn’t hurt all that much. We drove in silence until I came to the top of the hill that I wanted. I turned off the engine and looked over at Maya sighing. She had just stared out the window for the entire drive. I got out of the car without my crutches, it wouldn’t kill me to stand for a while. I hoped that she would follow. A few minutes later I found that she did join me on the edge as we looked down on the city below.

                “You don’t need to breakup with me twice Max,” I flinched. This had been our place for years and no one else had ever come here with either of us. This hill was special and it made me question whether or not I had made the wrong decision in breaking up with her here. I didn’t want to tarnish this beautiful place or this beautiful girl.

                “Maya,” I sighed and she just looked out over the town as I looked at her. “I’m really sorry about all of this I really am.” She just continued to stare out over the edge. I thought about everything that we had been through together and every time that she had been there for me. She had been great when my mom died. My mom had absolutely adored her as a child and she had always been over at our house. I had grown up with Maya just as much as I had grown up with Jake, Nick, or even Jordan for that matter.

                I smiled as I let myself remember the first time that we had danced together. It was one of my fondest memories because it was a memory from a better time. We were eight and it wasn’t long before my mother died. She must have already known that she was sick as in those last months she had become increasingly restless. I realized now that she was trying to cram a lifetime of memories into however many days that she had left. There are certain lessons that every mother wants to and has every right to teach her children. Some of them we hadn’t understood at the time but now her motives were much clearer. Jordan had understood her in that way so much better because he had been older and he was wise beyond his years. That had been just one of the many things that I had admired about him.

                It had been a Sunday afternoon and Jordan, Maya, Nick, Jake, and I were all just sitting in the living room eating and looking bored as hell. “It’s a beautiful Californian day, you kids should all be outside.” My mom complained. We all just shrugged our shoulders and groaned. Jordan was messing with my hair and I kept swatting his hand away annoyed. “You children are so lazy,” affection filled her voice as her beautiful blond hair flowed behind her. Her chocolate brown eyes matched those of Jordan and I.

                She grabbed my hand and pulled me forcibly to my feet. “I’m going to teach you all how to dance.” She announced and a stunning smile spread across her face as she liked her idea even more now that she had said it. She gestured for Maya to stand up and placed one of my hands on her waist and clasped my other around Maya’s tiny hand. She then set Maya’s other hand on my shoulder. A ten year old Jordan let out a low whistle and my cheeks turned red.