01| A Not So Happily Beginning

Once upon a time, long, long ago-well, more like twenty years ago, but same difference. Belle married her Beast in front of six-thousand of her closet family-friends, yeah, who even knows that many people?

Yeah, so instead of a honeymoon, Beast united all of the kingdoms and got himself elected King of the United States of Auradon.

He rounded up all the villains, sidekicks, basically everyone cool, and he banished them to the
Isle of The Lost with a magical dome to keep them there.

Home, not-so-sweet, home. No magic, no wi-fi, no escape. Or so we thought.

Hang on, you're about to meet us, but first this happened.

Prince Ben's green eyes focused intensely on the island that lay out in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by a stormy barrier. It seemed to call to him.

He barley noticed that he was being fit for his coronation suit, until the royal tailor forced his head away from the window. Ben rolled his eyes as the man measured his head for the crown, but kept his mouth shut.

The young prince was more focused on the dream he had last night. The dream had included a girl, to Ben she was almost haunting, almost like she was only halfway there. Ben remembered that she had curly, green hair, her tan skin darker than his own.

But it was her eyes that drew him in, he recalled that his mother had once said something about the eyes being the window to the soul, the eyes could tell you everything you needed to know about the person. If that was true, Ben could tell that just by looking into her dark, wide eyes, that she was the most interesting person he would ever meet.

Or dream about, for that matter.

"How is it possible that you're going to be crowned king next month?" Ben looked away from the window and towards his parents, the king and queen as they walked towards him, arms linked.

The beast shook his head in disbelief, "You're just a baby!" Ben smirked at his father's teasing and shook his head, casing the tailor to let out an exasperated sight before moving it back into place.

"He's turning sixteen, dear." Belle reminded her husband, her voice as light and kind as ever.

"Hey, pops." Ben greeted, making sure not to move and face the tailor's annoyance.

"Sixteen?" The Beast questioned, removing his glasses as he talked to both his wife and son, "That's far too young to be crowned king. I didn't make a good decision until I was at least forty-two."

The queen scoffed, "Uh, you decided to marry me at twenty-eight." Belle reminded the man

"Well, it was either you or the teapot." His father winked at Ben, causing the prince to chuckle as he imagined his father being married to the kind cook Mrs. Potts.

Belle however, was not amused.

"Kidding." The Beast promised his wife, she only hummed in agreement as she looked through the tailor's fabric choices.

"Mom, dad-" Ben went to move closer to his parents, but was stopped by the tailor letting out a noise of disagreement, "I've chosen my first official proclamation." Ben continued as he cast a look towards the Isle, almost for support.

His parents both looked up, proud smiles on both of their beautiful faces
as their son pitched his idea.

"I've decided that the children on the Isle of the lost be given a chance to live here in Auradon." His parents' smiles immediately vanished and Belle dropped the blue blazer she was holding to the ground.

The prince stepped forward, ignoring the tailor, "Every time I look towards the Isle I feel like they've been abandoned."

"The children of our sworn enemies living among us?" The Beast asked in disbelief as he tried to get the idea through his head.

Ben nodded, "We start out with a few first, only the ones who need our help the most. I've already chosen them."

"Have you?" The Beast asked his son rhetorically, there was no way he would let the children of villains invade his kingdom.

Belle reached out and put a hand on her husband's, "I gave you a second chance." She reminded the beast before looking to her only child, "Who are their parents?"

"Cruella De Vil...Jafar...Evil Queen...The Wicked Witch Of The West..." Ben took a deep breath in, he knew this could be a major deal breaker, "and Maleficent."

At the very mention of the sorcerer's name the tailor dropped his notepad, letting out a yelp.

"Maleficent?" The Beast roared, like the name left a bitter taste on his tongue, "She is the worst villain in the land!"

"Dad, just hear me out here." Ben pleaded, but the Beast shook his head.

"I won't hear of it." The tailor bowed quickly, before bolting out of the door, not wanting to present during one of the king's rage sessions.

"They are guilty of unspeakable crimes!"

"Dad, their children are innocent. Don't you think they deserve a shot at a normal life?" The Beast only looked down, "Dad?"

The king looked over at his wife, who nodded, "I suppose their children are innocent."

Belle smiled as she walked up to her son, straightening his jacket, "Well. Well done."

Ben gave her a nervous smile, and nodded at his father as the two left the room, leaving Ben alone with his thoughts. 

He walked towards the window, looking out of it, then down to his family ring, before looking back at the Isle of The Lost.

Things were about to change.