eight

Hannah cursed to herself and to Niall a million times over of how stupid she was to believe life was worth living in just a short week.

"Now do you know why I don't let people in my life?!"

Words could not describe how much Hannah had the upper hand, as if it were ever possible for Niall to be winning an argument with her. He kept his mouth shut because he could not form any coherent sentences. All of the things he wanted to say have already been said. On the other hand, he never got a chance to talk because Hannah never spared him a breath.

"You just make me feel like some god-damn idiot. I don't know why I trusted someone like you."

"Please, Hannah-" Niall pleaded, reaching out for her before she booked. "I'm sorry."

"Just leave me alone."

_____

Days earlier, the phone rang, the day after the incident at the library. Hannah groggily sprawled her arm out on the nightstand in hope to grab on to the cellular device. A lazy and annoyed groan escaped past her lips. It was eight in the morning.

Her forearm crossed over her eyes as a shield from the light coming in from the cracks between the blinds. She swiped her thumb across the touch screen and put the phone to her ear.

"What do you want?"

"I want you," He paused for a moment until Hannah hesitated to answer. "I want you to make me some tea."

"I don't mean to disappoint, Niall, but I'm still lying in bed, it's eight in the morning and you can make your own bloody tea."

He pouted with his bottom lip quivering, looking a little bit overdramatic. For her to hear his disapproval, he exhaled loudly.

"After you make me some tea, you can come lay in my bed. I'm still in mine."

Hannah chuckled and wiped her eyes now, trying to wake herself as much as she didn't want to. His persistency would not let up until she agreed to something along the lines of what he wanted. She was the woman in this friendship after all; he should be making her some damn tea.

"That's useless." She told him, rolling on to her side - another attempt to getting out of bed. "I won't want to fall back asleep."

The boy on the other line chewed on his fingernail, weighing in on her statement, but also out of habit. He leaned back on the headboard and stared at the wall ahead of him. Again, he cut her off before she could say something back to him.

"So, is that a yes to the tea?"

She hung up on him, and left him to worry about why she was not answering her phone anymore.

A majority of the two hours it took Hannah to leave the flat was spent trying to get out of bed. The rest of the time was devoted to freshening up her face and drinking a glass of orange juice. She slid a pair of grey sweatpants over the shorts she wore to bed and traded the dingy T-shirt for a crewneck. Her glasses along with her car keys and purse were the last things she grabbed before she was out the door, not in any sort of rush.

She escaped past Marisa's questions since she was working, which was definitely good on her part. After the discussion the night before, how suddenly Hannah was making this drastic change in her life, she needed a break from Marisa. The thought of Niall being a friend was overwhelming as it was, let alone having to be reminded of the fact. Leaving while Marisa was gone was less anxiety resting on Hannah's shoulders.

Hannah secretly liked being invited over to his flat, and there was no way she was about to let anyone know that.

The sky had turned a bit cloudy by the time she pulled her car to the curb in front of his flat at ten thirty. At least four text messages were waiting to be answered, he still having no idea of her whereabouts. Hannah checked her phone when she was walking up to the front door and didn't have to wait that long for him to appear on the other side of the door by the time she reached the porch.