A sheep in cows clothing

Its been three weeks since I found out about Kiran and Mohan, her parents were ecstatic when she told them their baby was getting married. I'm at Kiran's house helping her pick out jewelery for her engagement party this weekend. The house is filled with the women of our family, some are drooling over Kiran's ring. Others are taking a bet of how long it will be until they have children, “Five months!” my mother yells out.

“Oh no,” Kiran says shaking her head. “Oh c'mon you've got to have something to show for it!” Sheetal laughs. Don't be jealous cause she's getting married and you can't make it past a first date you cow. I think, Kiran looks at me and whispers “stop cursing her in your head.” we laugh in unison as Sheetal rolls her eyes.

“Okay!” Kiran's mom Shelina commands the attention, standing up and pushing her short brown hair behind her ears. Her bright brown eyes sparkle as she smooths out her gray pants and fidgets with her gold bangles. I notice she went easy on the makeup today as she is already about to cry.

As I watch my aunt go into a speech about how she always dreamed of the day when Kiran would find a husband, I notice how much Sheetal favors her mother. They both are about five foot eight, and are all legs. They bask in attention, and laugh in a sexy giggle, something I always thought Sheetal forced.

I look over at my cousin watching her mother speak so admiringly of her least favorite daughter. For the first time I see defeat in Sheetal's eyes, and while I would normally chalk it up as another flaw I feel a slight pang of empathy. Kiran is younger then both of us, and has yet to achieve as much as we have, but she leaped over us by landing a husband.

Landing a husband. Something I never thought I would say, even to myself. I catch Sheetal looking back at me, and I can tell her thoughts are in unison with mine. We just stare at one another for a moment, and in that short stretch of time, I feel closer to my sworn enemy then ever.

 A crooked smile stretches over her face as she shrugs her shoulders. She then looks away, and over at her mother, I notice her eyes water a bit, and she blinks her tears away. She gets up and goes into the kitchen, to get some snacks for everyone. I'm about to follow her, when I hear my aunt say my name.

“Chandani,” she says again. “Yes?” I look confused, “Can you say a few words for Kiran, your her best friend.” she smiles. I always hate standing up to give a speech, especially on the spot. I always want to make sure I say the exact thing that I feel, and now I have to stumble for words. I stand up and bite my lip.

“Kiran,” I begin, “I'm so happy for you.” I smile, “I remember when we were younger and we talked about all the things our life would amount too, we said we'd live together, and travel the world. We said we'd have adventures together, and have kids at the same time so they could be best friends. Little girls dream of a lot of things.” I look down, “you've always been someone I can rely on. Someone who understands me, and knows everything about me. I cant help but feel that Mohan will in a way replace me, I know I'll always be your best friend but he'll be right there.” I say looking in her tear stained eyes, I clear the lump in my throat. “So, as one chapter of our friendship closes, and a new life begins for you, I want you to know that our love for each other will never change. And if you ever need me I am right here.” I finish tears sliding down my cheeks.

“Chan!” Kiran exclaims through her tears,stands up, and hugs me. As I take my seat I see everyone else wiping their eyes. I look over at the kitchen for Sheetal, who is standing at the counter, still blinking her tears away and looking down at the food platter. She lets out a deep sigh, and tosses her shoulder length black hair back, and walks right back in the room.

“Snacks anyone?” she excitedly offers putting the platter on the coffee table. The old me would have thought she was trying to steal the attention again, but now I understand. She just wants to be included, maybe all she ever wants, I tell myself, is to be recognized for something more then her killer body, and pretty face.

                                             ******************