Just my luck

“Hey,” Rishi smiles at me as I hop in the backseat of his escalade. “You’re looking good!” Kiran says admiring my sari. My cousin Sheetal turns around in her seat to look at me “The sari, really is what makes you look good.”

Sheetal has always been a big time rival of mine. We’re constantly butting heads and competing. It seems like if I do something she has to do it better, or at least try too. If I liked a boy, she dated him. If I got an A on an assignment she got an A+. I like classical music, she mastered the piano. I decided to go to Sac  State, she decides to go to UC Davis.

Kiran on the other hand has been my life companion. For as long as I can remember we’ve been inseparable, we could sense what the other was thinking with a simple glance.  I look over at her, and she rolls her eyes and whispers “Jealous cow.” I smile at her with satisfaction.

As we pull in to the gate check in, I look at the homes, mansions I should say. “Wow this guy must be loaded.” Sheetal lets out checking herself in the mirror. “Yeah his family is from money.” Rishi looks over at Sheetal and nudges her. “Perfect.” She blows herself a kiss in the mirror. Wow…she’s such an idiot.

Looking around I can see that these homes are no joke. Each home is like two football fields, what’s the point in having such a big house? Driving all the way to the back of the community, there’s a drive way to a hill. A security guards booth sits there, and inside is a big broad black man. “Name?!” he shouts over at Rishi, his face still fixed on CSI. “Rishi Bilgrami.” Rishi pulls out his I.D. the security guard grabs it and inspects the guest list  “Alright man, have fun” he hands Rishi back his I.D. and points up the hill.

I follow the mans heavy hand with my eyes, to the top of the hill and catch sight of the most beautiful and breathtaking home I have ever seen. There’s a long gravel pathway, leading to the entrance. As we find a spot to park, I take a moment and soak it all in. The stone columns, the immaculate garden, the fountains, it looks like something out of “Better Homes” magazine.

As we get closer to the door, I can hear the music, violins, and cellos. What kinda party is this? “Dinners about to start.”, Rishi says in a hurried tone, fixing his tie. He knocks, and opening the door a butler says “Good evening, right this way.” As we follow him the music seems to be getting louder.  We reach, the rest of the party in the back yard, the landscape is even more intriguing then the front.

There’s a tennis court, in the far left, a golf course to the right, and a swimming pool the size of my whole house. All of this is so delicately put together. For the party there are these white tents, and inside them guests are seated in round tables of six. 

“There’s a lot of people here Rishi.” Kiran says self consciously pushing her hair out of her face. “Don’t worry, Kiki, you look gorgeous.” I reassuringly nudge her. She smiles and I can tell she’s okay again. “Whoever your friend is,” Sheetal says to Rishi looking around “I’d like to get to know him.” This person seems classy, liked he’d wanna waste his time on you. I’d like to say.

Instead I let it go and glance over at the orchestra, I love classical music. The violin has always been my favorite, it can pull me away from everything, it puts me in my inner sanctuary. When I was younger my grandfather would play classical music, while we would read. Or on some days he would teach me to waltz, it was hard for me to learn due to my lack of rhythm, but I got the hang of it. And have since mastered it, if I do say so myself.

I close my eyes, and for a second remember him. For some reason he always smelt like mint, I can feel his strong hand in mine leading me, and I can see the warmth in his smile. I remember his laugh, and his easy going nature. I get lost within my head, when I feel a pull on my hand. “Chalo yaar!”, Kiran demands, pulling me towards our table.