A Nice Indian Boy...sure

My mother always told me “Chandani, if you play your cards right you’ll find a great husband someday.” My grandmother would always add in “a nice Indian boy!”  If either woman could have their way, I suspect he would be a tall, tan, green eyed, wavy haired, Indian. Who loves nothing more then the smile on his mothers face, and approval from his father. They could see him clearly, striding in the room in all his greatness, and at that moment our eyes would meet. He would see no one else, Que the spotlight on me in a deep red sari, hair long and flowing. He would right then and there bend on one knee and whisper those sweet words “Muhjse Shadi Karoge?”(will you marry me?). Taken by surprise I would place one hand on my heart and utter a soft yet determined “yes.” Sounds like the ultimate Bollywood love fest huh? Well as I sit here at my desk, I can tell you that at twenty four years old I am still waiting for my Salman Khan to break through the doors.

     I look up at the clock, and sigh, time seems to always go by so slow when I’m “imprisoned” as I like to call it “fortunate” as my father would. “Not everybody is so lucky as you, too have a Dhada who need worked to be filed.” My “Dhada” or uncle says he needs me to file paper work for him, set appointments, answer phones and what not and he’ll pay me well. Well for the last six months I have been filing paper work, setting appointments, answering phones, picking up his kids from school, going grocery shopping for him at the oddest times in the day, buying him coffee every two hours, and babysitting whenever him and his wife feel they need a “break”. I get paid minimum wage, and no overtime. Yes, dad I am the fortunate one, I just cant wait until I’m all done with school, and can jump right into my nursing career. However my family would rather throw a baby shower then a graduation party.

The phone rings “Hello? House of Spice and Travel, how can I help you?” Yes my uncle’s business is both a travel agency and an Indian grocery store. How the two relate, I have no clue. “Chand, its me Kiran, is Papa their?” my cousin asks in her high pitched voice “Yeah, he’s trying to get a woman to buy two tickets to London if he throws in a free cd.” We laugh “Oh, man hey, can you do me a favor?” I sigh “sure what’s up?” I begin tapping my fingers on the desk. “Well…could you go with me to a party tonight? I know you don’t like the whole party scene, but Rishi wants me to go, and I don’t feel like being lonely while I’m there.” She eagerly whines. “Um, why do you have to go with your brother to a party? Kiki you know I don’t mind parties, it’s the people there that annoy me to no end.” I grumble. “Well, its more like my mother is making him take me, one of his old friend’s from college just moved out here. My mom wants me to find the ONE, and you know how persistent she is. C’mon I don’t wanna just go with Rishi and Sheetal, they’ll abandon me.” I can hear the worry in her voice. “Ok, Kiki, I’ll come. What time is it at?” I give in. “YAY!, its at eight, but we’ll get you at a eight thirty. Gotta be fashionably late!” she yelps. “Ok.” I let out, already regretting saying yes. “Thank you jiji, and can you tell dad to call me when he’s done.” She finishes. “Sure thing.” I hang up. 

As I look up in walks this tall, tan, green eyed, wavy haired, man. “Wait a minute” I tell myself, blinking twice. If my mother were here right now, she’d be telling me “Look what god has sent for you, see when you listen to me, everything is ok!”  I hear my uncles voice, but don’t register what he’s saying. “Chandani!” ,I turn to look at him “Yes?”  I’m puzzled. “Mr. Dharma is here to pay his ticket to New York. Can you help him, while I help Mrs. Singh?” as usual my uncle doesn’t wait for a response but continues helping Mrs. Singh.

I look over at this Mr. Dharma who is looking at some travel brochures, already seated on the other side of my desk. “Mr. Dharma” I think to myself , “Mr. Freaking gorgeous!” I laugh to myself only stupidly my laugh comes out, causing “Mr. Gorgeous” to look up at me in confusion. “Is something funny?” he says raising an eyebrow. “Oh, I’m sorry I was just thinking to myself....um how about I get this application started?” I blush, opening the application on my computer. “How about that?” He sighs. “Hold up you may be cute but your not THAT cute….ok yes you are! But how about being a little polite?”.  I brush it off “First name?” I stare at the screen “Akhil” He says continuing to look through the travel brochures, “Middle name?” I look at the key board, “Kashmir” He says with absolute boredom. God has an odd sense of humor, dangling this guy before me, only for him to be a jerk ! “Age?” I wait. He closes the brochure and lets out “26.”. I finish typing up the rest of his information, as I’m met with the same short, bored replies. “So, what are you planning to do in New York?”  I ask trying to make conversation, as I’m waiting for the information to process. “Visiting family, things like that.” He blinks waiting for me to say something. I’ve never been one for small talk, I can never think of the right question to ask or reply to make. “Oh” is all I can manage.

Saving me, my cousin Rishi walks in with the brightest smile. “Hey! Dharma! I didn’t know you’d be here, what’s up man?” Rishi exclaims hitting him on the back. “Oh, I just had to book my flight for New York, your dad called me and insisted I handle it now.” He responds placing the brochures neatly on my desk, and standing up to give Rishi a hug. “Its been too long man!” Rishi lets out. “Hey Chand, can you go get me some paper from the back, the printer needs it?” my uncle asks looking up from the printer “Sure.” I say getting up and walking towards the storage room in the back “Son!-” I can hear my uncles voice trail off as I turn the corner.

I turn on the light and scan the storage room for paper, I know I bought some. Grabbing the open stack on the second shelf, I shut the door and head back towards the front. I turn around realizing I forgot to turn off the light. Heading back I can hear my uncle ask “So Akhil, you like Chandani?”  Oh great now even my uncle is trying to marry me off!

   “Honestly?” Akhil asks. I lean on the wall so that they don’t see me. “She’s not really my type.” He says flatly. Not really your type? What is your type? “What is your type?!” my uncle irritably asks. “Well, I mean she's a bit, plain looking. And just blah.” He sighs. Plain looking? Blah? What does that even mean? I cant believe this dude, the only conversation we had lasted three minutes trying to fill out an application! I may not have went all out today trying to dress up, but plain looking? Who am I gonna impress here my uncle? Not his type? What’s his type the kind that can’t form a sentence? I knew he was jerk, a cute jerk, but a jerk! Jerk!

My thoughts are all over the place until I realize I was supposed to just grab paper and come back. I compose myself, and waltz right back in the room. I walk straight to the printer and shove the paper in. Rishi looks at me with his hands in his coat pocket “Chand, are we picking you up tonight?” he asks lightly. I smile at him sweetly and say “Yeah, why?” I sit back down in my chair.  “Just checking.” I nod my head and breathe deeply. I can feel Akhil staring at me, so I nonchalantly glance at the computer screen, and click on the internet to check my email. “Rishi, come help me put these boxes away.” My uncle says “You don’t just come here to stand around!” he begins to lecture. “Ofcourse not dad” Rishi obediently walks toward the stack of boxes that need to be moved.

“So what else do I need to do now?” Akhil asks taking a seat again, and folding his hands over my desk. Did I say you could be all over my desk? I clench my jaw and close the  browser “My uncle will help you with the rest.” I shut down my computer and grabbing my purse I stand up to put my coat on. “Oh your leaving?” He asks “Yeah.” I answer. “Ok, well have a good one.” He flashes me a fake smile. “I will.” I forcefully finish buttoning my coat and walk away. “Dhada I’m leaving I’ll see you Monday!” I angrily call at my uncle walking out the entrance. I can see Akhil’s reflection in the glass. He’s looking at me walk away with a confused look on his face. Whatever!

                                                         *******