Chapter Twenty Two - The Sherlock Twins: Reunited!

~~~~

~
~
~
~

The air felt tense and thick; it made it a bit hard to even breathe. My father, who I now knew as Adam, and I sat across from each other.

We had been in the room together for close to three hours and so far, I studiously ignored the man. I had nothing to say to him at the moment or in the previous moments. He left - he didn't deserve my attention. He completely lost the right to a conversation when he walked out on my family.

"Can we please talk, Gabrielle?"

"No, you left. You chose to leave and that revoked all the rights for our relationship." I snapped quietly, looking away from him. I couldn't even bear to meet eyes with the man who abandoned my mother and me.

While I was thankful for a little noise in the room, I would have preferred some other source. Having a heart to heart with my biological father in the midst of a kidnapping didn't rank up high on my list.

"Gabrielle, I never wanted to leave you or your mother. I loved you both very much and I still do."

I heard him plead, but I turned a deaf ear. My mind remained firm, steadfast in the resolution to tune out his words.

But of course, my heart wanted answers. My heartstrings were being tugged in the general direction of my father and I just wanted to know what caused him to leave my family on the sidelines.

Why did I go so long without knowing my father?

So I decided to make my move before my nerve flew out the window.

"Then why did you walk away?"

Raking a hand through his hair, Adam looked towards the floor and his face showing a bit of happiness and shock at my soft spoken words. "Gabrielle, you have to understand. I did what I had to do."

He looked up at me and placed his elbows on his knees, hands clasped together. "You were born before your mother and I even married."

My eyes widened. Mom failed to mention that gem of insight.

"We didn't have much to begin with, but once we found out that you would be coming along, your mother and I started to stress. She picked up more shifts at the diner she worked at and I tried to be the perfect factory worker, hoping that I would get promoted or get a raise. Your mom managed to pick up a few extra shifts, but I got laid off."

I watched as the man in front of me morphed; more and more he was starting to seem more like a human being than the heartless jerk I had imagined him to be all these years. Then again, the story wasn't over yet. There could still be some redemption for the jerk category.

"When Charlotte was about seven months along, I had to make some sort of a choice. The apartment we were living in wouldn't be able to house three people. It barely housed just two. We needed more space and we needed more money to properly take care of you."