Chapter Nine - Surprise, Surprise!

~~~~

~
~
~
~

Dear Gabrielle,

To start off this letter, let me say that I'm glad that we've been able to keep up our letters and book reading. Though, I've noticed you to be a little upset these days. Whenever I see you on campus, you're frowning. I wish I knew how to make you smile. Maybe a comedy novel would cheer you up? Or maybe reading a few lines out of The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe? I don't know ... ice cream? My older cousin eats ice cream whenever she wants to rip off the head of an individual. Maybe that just applies to all females?

And on that note, I definitely sound like an idiot.

Look, I just wanted to make sure you're alright. I'm so used to seeing a smile on your face and now, it seems that even Shelby and her overly cheerful demeanor can't bring you back from this slump.

Just ... let me know what I can do? I'll do my best to help!

Well, I guess that I'll answer a few of your questions from your last letter at this point. You asked me who my favorite poet was. I'll have to go with William Wordsworth. He wrote this poem called Lucy and ever since I read it, I couldn't stop. My favorite line from that poem is, "A maid whom there were none to praise and very few to love ... she lived unknown, and few could know when Lucy ceased to be. But she is in her grave and, oh! The difference to me!"

I think I like it so much because, to me, it shows. that someone always cares. Even when it seems as if there's no one there for you, someone standing on the sidelines notices all the small things that you do and appreciates them all.

You also requested a few fast facts about me so, here they are: I love regular bubblegum. Like, just the normal everyday flavor. All other flavors leave an awful taste in my mouth. Especially spearmint. Yuck ...

I prefer citrus fruits over any other. In fact, I can't stand apples. My favorite color is (don't judge) purple. But I'm talk that really deep purple or the purple that appears in the sky right before twilight. That really awesome color that no crayons or markers can duplicate.

Another tasty tidbit is that while now I love poetry, it took forever for me to actually get into it. I never understood it, but I wanted to. So I went tot he library, picked up some books on the stuff and got to learning. After that, I appreciated it so much more.

I just realized that these facts weren't particularly "fast" but I'll try to squeeze more in next time. Maybe you could feed me a few fast facts back?

There are days, like this one, when I wish that I had the nerve to come right up to you and hold down a conversation. I can't think of anything I would love more than to pick your brain for a few minutes, conversing about our favorite books and having a debate about the best lines, the deeper meaning and just ...