I think I'll Come Inside

The town buzzed in a straight line. Cars went and stopped. Lights came and died. People walked one way, and King walked another way. Shadows fell from the buildings to their deaths on the ground below. He was close to the place where he knew Sean would be. He could almost feel the power ripple in the air. He was near enough that he knew Sean would sense him, too. Nothing got past him.

His feet moved on their own. He would go. He had to, because it was the only way to find Helix. And, Helix was the only way to find Lucky.

King let the air flee from his chest. He balled his fists up and made his way down the busted cement steps. They led to an underpass, and just beyond it, was a rather large house. When he was on Earth, it was where he stayed.

It sported polished marble pillars, a green lawn, and an empty drive way. King ignored the third crack in the driveway. He didn't look at the blue vases on the porch or the unused door bell. He couldn't look at the vines that twisted their way up the left side of the house. All he could do was look straight ahead. He knew that if he looked any where else, he would turn around.

Truth be told, it was just a guess to begin with. He wasn't even sure if Sean would know where to find Helix. It was his best guess, though. Helix was always around Sean. King knew a lot about him, but he didn't know enough to find him without some sort of help. He was his best shot.

As he got closer to the house, the silence broke into screams—Sarah's screams. King listened as he walked, cautiously. He didn't run. He couldn't bolt towards the sounds like he was just anywhere. Sean, although pale in comparison to his real father, was still a very formidable man.

"I said let me go!" Sarah screamed. "I don't want to see him!"

"Get over it!" Liz yelled back.

"Silence," Sean's voice carried over the walls. "King has arrived."

King stood in front of the side entrance, biting his lip, and waiting on Sean to tell him to come inside. He could hear Sarah scrambling around and yelling his name.

"We need to talk," King yelled through the wall.

"Come in," Sean said.

King put his hand around the door knob. They had several houses growing up, but he hated this one the most. The door opened to a foyer full of old books. Their brown pages lined the shelves like busted old men, and each one of them smelled of guts and darkness. His father had always been into manipulating energy. The house was a veritable wasteland to him, though, to anyone else, it would have been considered beautiful. King saw it for what it was. He saw Sean for what he was, too.

Sean stepped into the foyar. He stood alongside his army of books with folded arms clad in black. The sight alone was enough to make King flinch. His dark hair and beard blocked out the chandelier in the other room. He towered against the wall like a fortress. He always had. He always had, but King wasn't little any more. He wasn't little, and Lucky was in trouble.

"I need to find Helix," King said simply.

"Lucky?" His father sighed.

"If anyone can find the rat, it's you."

"I know where Helix is," Sean nodded. "It's good to see you, son. Won't you come in?"

"No," King said. "Why is Sarah here? I heard her scream."

"I needed to find Helix."

"And you didn't leave her in the Kingdom?" King asked.

"No," Sean said just as simply. "Are you sure you don't want to come further inside? Sarah and Liz are here. You can see them. Talk with them—if you want."