Calm Down

It took all of two-point-five seconds for Lucky to panic so severely that even Helix felt bad enough to go and hold her in his arms. The gray in her hair returned completely to blond, but her silver eyes would probably never be green again. They wept watery tears down her face as she stared at the two lying on the floor at her feet.

"Lilly!" Lucky screamed.

"Stop," Helix commanded as he held her thrashing body. "Calm down."

"Lilly!"

"She's okay," Helix said as he latched onto her shoulders and made her face him. "Lilly's fine."

Lucky stared up at him. The last time she'd seen his eyes, she'd been paralyzed. This time wasn't much different. His bare hands held onto her and locked her into his gaze.

"What did I do?" she whispered as she stared in shock at his effervescent eyes.

"Calm...down...," Helix breathed as he stared down at her and kept his powers locked around her. He couldn't afford to let her get too out of control. She'd done it—just like he knew she would. She'd finally awakened the power, and it was all he could do to try and keep it tamed. "You've got to breathe, Lucky."

"Is he...is he dead?" she stammered. She wanted to turn around and look. She wanted to check, but Helix wouldn't let her. The walls stared back at her. Helix held her, and she just wanted to escape. "I've got to get out of here."

"You will," Helix said, "but breathe first."

"What did I do?" she asked again as lights and colors swarmed around inside her head like angry bees. "I killed him. I killed someone. Oh my God."

"Shh," Helix whispered.

"I didn't mean to," she sobbed. "I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I just...he just...Lilly. I got so mad. The noise wouldn't stop. I...I didn't mean to."

"Let's go," Helix said softly.

"No!" Lucky shrieked. "No, I'm not going back without Lilly."

"Alright," Helix said, "but if you stay standing here, you've got to calm down. It's not an option."

"Okay," Lucky tried to tell herself. She shut her eyes and tried to quiet her mind and the lights. She sucked in her breath and focused on the quiet that was around them. It fell into place despite what'd happened. It hummed around them lazily—drifting, without judgement, in the air.

Helix felt the power wane. He was sure that, in a moment, she would be out like Lilly, because she wasn't used to harnessing it yet. She was Sean's counterpart in every way. The hearts he made to beat again, she could extinguish. The hearts she extinguished, he could restart. Helix had Cedric changed just to test that, and Sean agreed having no idea that it would be to further his own demise. Helix was one step closer to fulfilling what King'd asked of him, and Lucky'd killed an immortal without even needing to blink.

"How do you feel?" Helix asked.

"I feel," Lucky opened her jaded eyes and spoke, "tired."

"I thought you might," Helix said. His hands tensed around her shoulders. He wasn't sure if it was safe enough yet to let her go or not. He decided to hold on to her a little longer. It would be bad if he let her go before the death inside of her fell asleep. For the first time in a long time, Helix was...cautious. It was a suicide mission anyway, but he couldn't die before things were done.

She stood with her eyes closed and her brows knit together. In a way, it reminded him of Bella. It was unfortunate that good people had to get caught up in bad things, but that was just the way things went. He never expected Cedric to get so out of hand, but it awakened her none-the-less. Life was like that. Sean didn't understand that. It was easy for him to press the reset button, but it wouldn't be that easy for him ever again. He didn't hold a grudge against Sean, but killing Sean was the only way to kill King. Helix knew he had to do that. He had to—for both of them.

He could feel her start to slip in his hands and knew she was about to pass out. She fell into his arms, and he swooped her legs up. He laid her gently on the couch and tried to think of what to do next.

Helix pulled a cigarette from his black jacket and put it into his mouth. It was how he thought. He lit it before sliding the cold, leather gloves back onto his hands. Staying on Earth was bad. It wouldn't do for Sean to find her before she was able to hold her own against him. Letting King find her and taker her back to the Kingdom wasn't much better. She was too explosive. He was sure that she'd been gone long enough to stir King into a search. He could let them find her, or he could take her. Struggling to get away from him might make her powers surface more readily, too. No, it'd been two days. Above everything else, Sean couldn't find out about Lucky's awakening. Taking Lucky back to The Kingdom himself might prove better in the long run. He'd be away from Sean, and King would take his time searching Earth.

It wasn't like he couldn't watch her from afar, but it was just too risky to let her stay anywhere out of his own reach. At least he could suppress her. He had to be near her. He lifted her limp body into the air and slung her over his shoulder. He'd decided.

He stepped over Cedric's lifeless body and made his way to the front door—leaving Lilly behind for King to find.

It was the best way to prevent the future from happening. Lucky would kill Sean, and all of his resurrections would fall with him. She just had to do it before King took the mark, otherwise, King would remain invincible in his darkened state. That couldn't happen. Helix would give up his own life, if it meant stopping King from finishing his father's mark.