A Job to Kill King

It didn't take her father too long to re-open the portal. Liz didn't ask how. Her father was a man of many secrets and many talents. She was sure that she would be able to figure that part out later. For the time being, she sucked in a breath and stepped inside.

"Two days," she said as she turned around to face her father.

"Two days," he confirmed.

Helix took a step in after her. All of the spunk had gone away from the both of them. It was something Sean admired. He liked it when the severity of situations made idiots into soldiers, and soldiers were exactly what he needed.

"Let's go," Helix said.

Liz nodded, and the two of them began to walk towards the doorway that would let them into The Kingdom. It'd been some time since Liz saw it last. It hadn't been that long for Helix.

"What if the next door is blocked, too?" Liz asked as they walked. They approached the secondary door. She held out her hand but drew it back—afraid to touch the handle.

"Then we'll open it," Helix said. "Go on."

Liz bit her lip and nodded back at him. She stretched her hand out and wrapped her pale fingers around the door's handle. It was smooth and plastic—like any other door on Earth, but she knew on the other side, she would see a vast array of forests, fields, and diamond-studded clouds. The Kingdom was pretty, but it was nothing like her home. Her father, and herself, and King were all from Deraindium. There were three worlds: Earth, The Kingdom, and Deraindium. Earth, though, was still her favorite. For as beautiful as her home was, it was an icy place altogether.

She put a little pressure into a tug that fell short. It was most definitely blocked as well. She sighed and let her hand fall back to her side.

"Locked," she said. "Now what?"

Helix wrinkled his eyebrows at her with a smile that asked if she was really that dumb. He shook his head and squatted down in front of the door. His fingers traced over it in a series of lines, and she couldn't tell if he was drawing something or searching for something.

"Ya know," he said, "to be his kid. You sure don't know a whole lot of stuff."

"I know plenty," she snapped, "plenty of the stuff that matters."

"And this doesn't matter?" Helix chuckled.

"Depends on who you are...," she said. She could tell he'd raised his eyebrows at that statement—probably reading as much into it as she meant. Helix, although barbaric, was a very intelligent immortal.

"So, who do you think you are?" he asked as his hands slowed to a stop about three inches from the left side of the door's spine. He'd found the weak spot in the barrier.

Dimensional travel was nothing to him. It was all just energy, and if you read it right, it was very easy to see. He'd hopped through dimensions before. He'd even hopped through time. He had a job to do that not even Sean knew of. He had a job to kill King, and it had to be done before King got his father's powers back. Though, he wasn't sure whose side Liz was on.

"Are you Sean's daughter or King's sister?"

Liz didn't answer him. She knew he'd caught on to how she felt about things, and she didn't want to jeopardize her position any further. Instead, she watched Helix kick the door in the right spot.

Light flickered around the door, and she thought it even made a light, hissing noise beneath his foot. Regardless, he cracked his neck, rolled his shoulders, and pulled the next door open.