Chapter Seven

I made no sound as the sword pierced my flesh, aimed straight for my heart. I was too surprised to move, to make any sound at all. I couldn't believe she had stabbed me, though I knew it wouldn't kill me and I knew she didn't really mean it. . .

 I woke with a jolt, sitting bolt upright in my bed, hands slamming onto the mattress. I leaned forward, breath accelerated, heartbeat loud in my ears. I struggled against the fear pounding at my chest, chasing me from my sleep and my dreams.

  I hadn't realized that a hysterical scream had burst forth from my mouth until Camden burst into my room, Kian and Naois right behind him. I stared at them, eyes wide with fear. Naois was at my side in less than a moment. "Aurnia," he whispered, "what happened?"

 I shook my head. "I don't know." I gasped in another painful breath, trying to stop the sob that was threatening to escape me. "It was a dream, I think. It just-it felt so real."

 He patted my back, crouching on the floor next to me. "It's okay, honey. It's going to be okay, I promise."

 I stared at him, using his eyes like a lifeline, as I nodded, more to reassure myself than anyone else in the room, or even outside the room. "Okay, yeah, I know. You're right."

 I looked over at Camden and Kian. They were both watching us with undecipherable expressions. "What?" I asked quietly. "What's wrong?"

 "Oh, I don't know," Kian said sarcastically. "Would you mind explaining to us why in the hell Naois can talk to you? Why it isn't killing you or any of us?"

 I shook my head. "Truthfully?" At his only slightly sarcastic-please take note of my sarcasm-nod, I added, "I really don't know. And neither does Naois. We just found out and we talk sometimes."

 "How long have you known about this?" Camden asked, voice flat and emotionless.

 I sighed. "Come on, Cam, it's not really that big of a deal, is it?"

 Naois elbowed me. "Yeah, it kind of is, Aurnia. No one has ever been able to get past the Demons and Curses of the Angels."

 "Oh," I muttered. "Then I guess it is a big deal."

 "Yeah," Kian said. "It kinda is."

 Camden shrugged and walked the rest of the way into my room, but Kian hesitated,staying where he was at the door. I sighed. "I'm sorry. Look, I would have told you if I'd even had a hint at knowing that you guys took it so seriously. I swear."

 Kian and Camden exchanged glances before Kian turned around and walked away, out of my line of sight. I sighed exasperatedly. "Where is he going?"

 Camden leaned against the wall to my right side, close to the window that was above my bed. "To get the others. This is big, Aurnia. You really should have told."

 I glared at him. "Well, excuse me for you having to find out when I was stabbed to freaking death in a frigging dream!"

 Camden sighed, but looked away, out the window. "I'm sorry about that, Aurnia, but you shouldn't have kept this from us."

 I stared at him, upset and angry. "What is wrong with you, Camden? Why are you being like this? You've always been the nicest and gentlest Angel I know. Why are you acting like there's nothing you'd like more than to hate me?"

 Naois stood up. "He's not. He's letting someone else take over right now. He's too tired and upset and just doesn't want to live life anymore so he let Exhaustion take over."

 Camden didn't even react to what Naois had just revealed, as if he just didn't care anymore, which told me that Naois was exactly right. I sighed. "So Cam really let you take over?"