Chapter Two

I'm insane. I'm losing my mind. I am insane. I am losing my mind.

 No, you're not. Stop freaking out.

 Stop that! Yes, I am! I'm talking to a Voice in my head! I believe that entitles me to lose my mind a little bit! To be a little insane!

 You are overreacting.

 What are you, Reason?

 No. And you aren't going to trick me into telling you my name. You might as well stop trying already. It isn't going to work.

 I seriously wanted to bang my head against the wall. I eyed the wall across the room, behind Apphia and Emeyo. I glanced at Apphia. She smiled a half-smile. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

 I shook my head, eying the wall again. "Not unless you can get her to tell me what her stupid name is. She refuses to tell me, even says she won't be tricked into it."

 Apphia shook her head, a smile playing on her lips. "Of course she won't. But maybe she just wants you to figure it out for yourself."

 I shrugged and lay back on the cold, hard floor, wincing as my head knocked against it. I rolled over onto my side and propped myself up on an elbow so I could watch Apphia and Emeyo. "Banging my head against that wall is starting to look very good."

 Apphia glanced at Emeyo, but Emeyo wasn't paying any attention. She had her eyes closed and seemed to be focused. I glanced at Apphia, but she had taken up the same position as Emeyo. They looked like they were meditating. I wouldn't doubt it. With these two it was hard to tell, not that I really even knew them.

 I laid back down on the floor and stared up at the ceiling. Before I even knew it my eyes had drifted closed and I was being wrapped in a blanket of warmth and light.

 I opened my eyes to a much different place. A meadow lay to the front, the back, and both of the sides. I saw a woman sitting nearby. She had long strawberry blond hair that cascaded to the sharp green of the grass in neat waves. She had eyes like an electric but gentle blue. Her features were gentle, making her look younger than she actually was. The wind blew a few strands of her hair around her face and she looked straight at me. A smile lit her eyes, even as shock filled them. She whispered a word. "Darkness."

~~~~

 I sat straight up, breathing heavily, shivers going down my spine. I looked around warily, expecting something or someone to jump out at me. I froze, fear spread throughout my entire body, settling in the pit of my stomach, as a hand settled on my shoulder. I turned and relaxed slightly, seeing Apphia crouched down behind me. She smiled, but there was worry in her eyes. "Are you alright? You were muttering some strange things. And you were thrashing. I was getting worried."

 I nodded, but didn't smile. "I'm alright." I pushed my hair out my face with one hand before I got to my feet. I looked around. "Where's Emeyo?"

 Apphia stood. "She went outside to look for a good place for us to try to dig and/or fight our way out. It's likely we'll have to fight to get out of here."

 I nodded. "I assumed as much. Will she be okay?" I shook my head before answering myself. "Of course she will. She's a warrior. We all are."

 Apphia nodded. "Yes. Even though we are fallen, we are still and always be warriors. They can't take that away from us. No one can."

 I nodded and felt a smile pull at my lips. "Yes. I know you're right."

 Apphia grinned. "Yes! I knew you would smile eventually. Now, would you like to tell me about your dream before we attempt to escape this hellhole?"