Chapter Five

"Let me go! Get off of me!" I screamed as the two remaining men-excluding their leader-struggled to hold my arms behind me. It wasn't working very well, though. For them.

 I had already managed to knock out two of them, the ones that looked almost identical, while these two were holding my arms behind me. I hadn't even needed to use them, but I really wanted them to get off of me. Mainly so I could kill their leader. I felt an impossible rage towards the man.

 I stopped struggling as her fist connected with my face and it exploded with pain. She was the only woman I could see and I wanted nothing more than to strangle her. No matter how many times I kicked-or hurt-her in any way, she just got back up and started trying to kill me again. I had noticed once or twice the leader sitting on the ground, arms wrapped around himself, rocking back and forth. It was strange to see such a big man obviously in so much pain. For some odd reason, I wanted to comfort him, but at the same time I wanted to kill him. It didn't make any sense. My emotions weren't making any sense.

 I finally managed to grab the wrist of one of the men who had a grip on me, trying to pry his hand from around my wrist. He cried out in pain and jerked away from me. "Don't let her skin touch you! She burns!"

 I jerked my arm forward and fought to free the other one. "Get off of me!" I shrieked, straining against the last hold on my arm. "Let me go!" I ground out through my teeth.

 I fell forward as I finally freed my arm, barely managing to catch myself before my face hit the ground. I pushed myself up and sat back. I looked around as an acrid tang filled my senses; I quickly saw why. There was a ring of fire circling around me, and, as I quickly noticed, the other people around me, all of them.

 "Alasdair!" Someone yelled. "What's happening?!"

 The leader froze and stood up. "Her Curse. It's like mine. She can't touch people without hurting them." He stared emotionlessly into my eyes. "I wouldn't recommend touching anyone, especially whoever you fell for."

 I narrowed my eyes at him, clenching my fists. "I wouldn't recommend you asking me who that is."

 He flinched at the sound of my voice and I wanted nothing more than to hit him. I even rolled to my feet took a step forward, but someone's hand clamped around my wrist. I felt all of the energy drain from my body as I fell to my knees.

 One of the twins wasn't completely knocked out and he was now pulling all of the energy from my body, preparing himself to speak. I could feel it before he even opened his mouth. Pain coursed through my body as he spoke. "She's harmless. She won't hurt anyone else. She just wants to get to Aurnia."

 I stared at him, unable to speak. How did he know what I wanted? Why I had fallen? How could he know anything about me? Unless. . .

 "How do you know that?" I ground out, barely able to get the words out at the effort speaking was now causing me.

 The man stared over at me. "I know that because I know you. And I remember you. I am sure you do not remember me, though."

 I blinked, trying to see what he was telling me, through the fog in my mind. But I just couldn't see past it. "I. . .do not know you."

 "I knew you would not. But, I do not have much time. I can't pull this off for much longer. It may kill the both of us. But, what I have to say, while I can say it, is that she did not come here alone. I know there were two others, one of which you, Alasdair, know very well. But, we cannot let Cearbhall know." He winced, pressing his hand to his forehead, as if fighting a migraine. "I can't hold it any longer."

 The man's eyes closed, the fog slowly fading from my mind as I stared at all of the fallen Angels around me. I felt as if I should be able to place their names, at least some of them, but I couldn't. It was like they were there, on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't find them, couldn't force them to come to me. Then, as I met each of their gazes, one of the names popped into my head. "Valor? Is that you?"