C H A P T E R 3

Present...

REGINA'S P.O.V.

I decided to call Mr. Hudson as soon as Hina left. She had some work at her patisserie and asked me to join her later to help. It took me an hour to find Mr. Hudson's number alone because the idea of saving numbers never cross my mind, all credits to my laziness.

I dialed his number and waited for him to pick up but it went straight to voicemail. I decided to try again sometime later.

Asher, being C.E.O and the one taking my interview, was unsettling me because he had been nice to me when we met and I can't assume that he remembers me or his life hasn't changed a bit. My own life has turned upside down over the span of three years and I am not the same person anymore. I can't predict his reaction and that leaves me in a doubt whether I'll get the job or not. Calling myself desperate wouldn't be wrong here.

I really hoped that he wouldn't be the one interviewing me.

The next day I tried Mr. Hudson's number and finally, it worked. I told him about my dilemma of wanting to get a paid internship and continuing my degree. Mr. Hudson was my father's close friend and had supported my family and business until my mother married Owen, who then, made mom believe into his lies about Mr. Hudson wanting to get to her business. Mr. Hudson then stepped back on his own and actively proved mom and Owen wrong through his actions. He was happy to learn about my decision and asked me to go for the scholarship programme as well, which I gladly did. He was also kind enough to talk to the company in which I was applying which I knew wouldn't work considering the reputation of the company and the fact that nepotism, sometimes, is the worst option in these scenarios when it works most of the times.

I never got to spend much time with Mr. Hudson after I left college. I was out of funds and burdened by bills. When I left, I knew I'd come back but I never knew when. I miss my father the most at these helpless moments. If he had been alive, he'd have managed to find a way out. I was blessed with a good relationship with my father but I had lost it. I was very young when he left me and Mr. Hudson's caring presence reminds me of dad a lot but the few memories of his existence in my life are more than enough to last me forever.

**Three and a half years ago**

My anxiety had kicked in. I didn't want to believe in what was happening. I had bombarded myself with impossible 'wants'. I wanted to get out of the hiding and look at my mother's face for once. I wanted to see if she was being forced. I wanted to see if that was what she really wanted for her children. I wanted her to prove herself innocent. I didn't care about Owen because he had nothing to do with me but mom had everything to do with me. I wanted to see how a woman who gives birth to a child can kill her own flesh and have no remorse. Only this side of my mom could help me work on the plan that I had in my mind. She wasn't obliged to choose her family over her but she didn't have the right to ruin my life just because she had given birth to me. I wouldn't have blamed her if she had left for her career but sacrificing her children for her own good when we suffer is crossing lines, even as a mother.

It wasn't a good place for me to take a stand when I had allowed myself to be too dependent on my parents for everything. I didn't know what it took to be independent and taking decisions on my own but it had become a necessity.

I, no more, cared about the consequences of my actions or what would happen to my mom or Owen.

It didn't take me long to decide. I retreated back to my room where I found Ana sleeping soundly. My mind was jumbled up but I was thinking fast. I wasn't even sure if I was going to make it but it was either this or conforming. I could see into the future. I could see Ana going through the same situation because I couldn't do enough to save myself and my sister. I opened the cupboard and found the little money that I had saved up till now. I took a bag and threw everything that came into my hand without noticing much. I was thrusting everything inside the bag hoping that I could fit myself into it so no one would see me. I zipped up the bag and went towards the bed. I tried calling out to Ana but my voice was clipped and that was when I realized I was crying. At the same moment, I felt the warm tears on my cheek. The stress and fear of my plan not working had made me hyperaware of my surroundings and oblivious to how I felt. I didn't bother to wipe them as I began shaking Ana out of sleep. She was a heavy sleeper but luckily, she woke up. She must have seen the look on my face which brought her out of her sleep.