Chapter Eighteen: Absolution

Jen's P.O.V

The sound of heels clicked against the hard floors, echoing down the long endless corridors.

It was quiet, too quiet for my liking. There was an occasional cough here and there, but it wasn't enough to suffice the empty atmosphere.

Then again, I never really liked hospitals.

Sickness and death practically lurked throughout the whole building; it was such a mood killer. It smelt of a certain cleaning agent with a lemon aroma tinged to it, and of a strong smelling soap bar you'd find somewhere in Lush. But not the nice kind.

Sofia sat across from me; one hand interlocked with Zayn's and the other holding a letter Harry had written her before the accident. Mine sat in my lap, unopened and tempted me to look at the contents.

Louis sat beside Liam, holding his head in his hands. "It's all my fault, it's all my fucking fault," he sobbed over and over again.

Niall and Georgia were asleep, cuddling together with empty cups of coffee in their hands. Guess the caffeine wasn't strong enough. I wrapped my cardigan around me tightly, staring at the floor.

Doctors told us Harry was slipping in and out of concious; his heart stopping and restarting. At this point he was stabilised, but deep down in my gut I knew something was wrong. I was curious, yet alone scared for him. He was getting glimpses of what was to be 'afterlife' or 'heaven'. In his case he'd probably go to hell. But I didn't want him to die.

"You love him don't you?" Liam asked me hours before the dreaded phonecall.

"I never said I loved him."

"But you do, you both do," Liam said, staring off in the distance. "I see the way he looks at you. He's never looked at a girl like that before."

I shook my head in disbelief. "But I love you-"

"Loved, not love," Liam interrupted. "You can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to me. Not anymore."

After Liam had said that, he assured to me things between us were fine, just before Louis came running over in a frantic state holding onto his phone. Everything that happened was in such a blur, I had already forgotten the crucial details.

"I'm gonna call Harry's family. After all, they should know what has happened."

Liam left his seat, and headed out of the waiting room, which broke me away from my thoughts. Louis shot me a glum smile, gazing at the the letter seated in my lap. "You're gonna have to open it sooner or later."

"I don't think I'll be able to.." I murmured, beginnning to twirl the ends of the envelope. "It just feels so wrong to do it here."

Louis pursed his lips in thought. "Maybe you should read in a empty room."

"Where am I going to find an empty room?" I asked. "This place is full of sick and dying people."

"Try the West Wing of the hospital," Louis said. "I walked past there before and there is hardly anyone in there. Just don't let anyone see you."

I got up out of my seat, messing up his hair in the process. "Alright, if you say so."

I managed to dodge behind a vending machine to conceal myself away, avoiding the nurses on duty that were coming back from their lunch break. As they walked away, I quickly walked down the long corridor, clutching tightly onto the letter.

What if he does die?

I couldn't imagine what I'd do. Or him being gone from the world. I'm sure if many of the girls he had flings with knew what was happening to him now I'm sure they'd be pleased. Consider it as kharma for treating girls the wrong way, but everyone knows it's wrong to wish death upon someone.