Chapter Forty Three

-Dick's POV-

I punched the douche bag in the face, ripping the stolen purse from his hands. "Stealing is for losers," I said, knocking the guy out. I rolled my eyes. Bludhaven was really starting to turn again.

"Thanks," the woman said, grinning and pulling her son close to her, "we really missed you. Bludhaven, I mean."

I nodded, putting my hands on my hips. "I'm back now. I won't let anyone hurt you..." I crouched down to the level of the boy, who's eyes were sparkling and wide, "or you." He stepped out from behind his mother's leg. His little hands grasped the air in front of me. I looked up at his mother, received a nod, and lifted the boy into the air.

"Yay! Nightwing!" The boy squealed. I put him on my shoulders and spun in circles. He continued to chuckle.

A call on my com drew my attention. Sighing, I realized that Bludhaven still needed my help quite frequently. I gently put the boy back down and him and his mother skipped away. "What's the situation?" I answered.

"Nightwing, Red Hood was spotted in Gotham. Hurry here," Batman ordered.

Glancing up at the sky, I frowned. I know Bludhaven needed me. I knew that. And I had just arrived to help out again for a few days. But, Red Hood was in Gotham. He was. So, I needed to be in Gotham too.

I used the Team's zeta tube system, despite the fact that I hadn't actually done any team missions in months. With the Justice League cracking down on the world, the Team slid back into the shadows. The only people who really protested were the younger members. All of us oldies were happy for the break. Especially Wally, who was busy planning his wedding. Neither Artemis nor Wall really cared for their wedding, but Wally's family were bent on them having a huge bash.

As soon as I arrived, I patrolled Gotham for any signs of Red Hood. Bruce told me to be wary of any explosives, especially after what happened in Bludhaven. I kept my eyes peeled.

CA BOOM!

I whipped my body around a skyscraper and slung shot myself towards the bright fire that lit up the black night sky. Determination clouded my vision and emotions, keeping me from feeling any guilt. I left Bludhaven behind after a disaster with Red Hood and then the exact one happens in Gotham.

A building was blown apart from the top floor down to at least the sixth floor. Soot, cement, and glass littered all around the site as well as in the air. I saw Bruce out of the corner of my eye.

He landed down beside a group of people who were fleeing the destroyed office. I dropped down beside him. Instantly, I knew who the office belonged to. "You mother fucker! You fuckin' asshole! You piece of shit! You ugly ass piece of garbage!" Black Mask screeched.

"Someone's mad," I mumbled to Bruce. Black Mask turned around.

"What did you say, fruitcake?" Black Mask glared, "You think this is some fuckin' joke? That...that...god damned fucking asshole, bitch, piece of shit! He blew up my fucking office!" Black Mask picked up a piece of wall and tossed it across the street. Li -- Black Mask's personal assistant -- pinched the bridge of his bruised nose and sighed.

Bruce stepped in. "Where did Red Hood go?"

"That fucker waved at me! He waved at me! And then he fired a fucking rocket from over there!" Black Mask pointed a gloved finger at the building across the street. I looked up just in time to see a flash of red and white.

Nightingale.

I took off as fast as possible, leaving Bruce in the dust. He shouted my name, but followed. I climbed onto the roof. Peering around, I scanned for any more glimpses.