Chapter Seventeen

-Dick's POV-

Barbara walked out of the closet, spinning around slowly. Her blue dress flowed around her heels. I yawned and nodded my bored amazement.

"Dick, I asked for your help!" She slapped my arm as my eyes started to close. I had been sitting on the bed for almost an hour, waiting and judging her every outfit. Everything looked the same to me. Barbara was gorgeous in whatever she wore.

"Barbs, that one is perfectly fine. Why do you care about it so much?" I asked. Standing in front of the mirror, she smoothed out her dress so it gripped at her body but fanned out at the bottom.

Barbara turned around with her hands on her hips. "This is the GCPD office party. I've been going every year since I was six. And there are going to be a lot of important people there," She placed a string of gray pearls around her delicate neck, "I have to dress to the nines."

I shrugged and stood up, stretching my muscles. The more I stared at my girlfriend, the harder it was to tear my eyes away. Barbara was a pretty girl. Anytime we went out, guys flirted with her, sometimes while I was standing there. Thinking of all the young police officers that were going to attend the party, I reached for Barbara's hand, "Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

She chuckled. "The only person even remotely near my age is Lucas Fox. You jealous of Lucius's son?"

A memory of meeting the kid came to mind. He was only about a year younger than me, but he was taller and bigger. He had perfectly tanned skin and I remembered how cool he looked in his glasses. "I can go get dressed right now," I grumbled.

"Shhh," Barbara pressed her cherry lips to my stubbly chin, "Go hang out with your friends. I'll be fine."

I bit my lip as Barbara left. I called up Wally, trying to distract myself from Lucas Fox and my girlfriend waltzing around the GCPD together.

"Hello?" Wally answered. I could hear Artemis and Bart arguing in the back as Barry laughed.

"Family dinner?" I laughed as the noise got louder and louder.

"Every Saturday since I got back," Wally sighed. I heard him shuffle around as the background quieted down. "What's up?"

"I'm bored. Wanna have a guys' night? It's been awhile," I snuggled the phone between my ear and shoulder as I pulled on a pair of jeans.

"Guys' night? I wanna go!" Bart swiped the phone. I wheezed with laughter as I heard the struggle as Wally chased after Bart. Bart giggled into the receiver the whole time.

"Give it back Barto!" Wally shouted. The nickname was one Wally and I came up with to tease Bart when he first showed up. Every time we called him 'Barto' he would chase us both around, screaming at us.

Eventually, Wally got the phone back and managed to shoo Barto away. "So, are you down?"

"Yeah. I'll be over in no time. Are you inviting all the guys?" Wally asked.

I went through my closet and grabbed a t-shirt. "Of course bro."

"Great. Where we going?"

"Hmm...a new bar just opened up down the street from me," I said, looking out the window, "It's a pretty chill club."

"Don't tell Artemis we're going to a club, she would legit--"

"You're going to a club!?" I heard Artemis in the back. Wally quickly tried to explain himself. I always loved their relationship. Artemis was viciously jealous and Wally was possessive over her. Even with that in mind, they still made it work. And Wally had already dropped the bomb to me that he was planning on proposing.