Chapter Six

-Athena's POV-

"In the wheelchair you go," Alfred spoke calmly, rolling my transport into the room. I glared at it. It's black leather and silver wheels were like threats, accusing me of being weak.

"I will not," I said. I flung my legs over the side of the bed. Letting my bare feet touch the cold floor, I stood up quickly. Almost instantly, my legs gave out and I crumpled. Bruce rushed forward. His strong hands gripped my skinny arms as he gently lifted me into the wheelchair.

"I can do it! Let me walk myself!" I tried to stand, but Bruce held his hand on my bicep. I glanced down at his calloused fingers. His fingers touched even when they were locked around my arm. It made me realize just how much I had lost.

I sank down and let Alfred roll me through the doors of the hospital. I didn't speak the whole way to the Manor. 

When we arrived, I took in every scent and every sight. The house smelled smoky and sweet, like homemade cookies. It was bright as always and colorful. I felt like a kid again, being in that house. It felt like home. 

I had taken the wheels into my own hands and started to explore. Although I had lived in the Manor for over a year, I had been locked in a cell for longer. Alfred had put out the houseplants and Spring decor. I rolled around the Manor, taking everything in. The marble sparkled as the sunlight glinted off of it. 

"Athena! Come in here!" Tim called as I rolled out from the garden. 

I rolled into the main room and came face to face with my surprise. My three best friends were anxiously waiting with the backs towards me. I cleared my throat and they all turned around. 

"Jesus Athena!" Artemis shouted, running towards me. I leaned forward and let her wrap her arms around me. She mumbled into my shoulder, her voice choked up. I knew she wouldn't publicly cry, but she let out a few sobs into my neck. 

She let me go and backed up, allowing Roy to come forward. He looked at me solemnly, his eyes darting over my form. But then, a wicked grin stretched across his face. His green eyes were watery, but he also wouldn't let tears fall. 

Roy grabbed my hand and traced the brand. He gazed up at me, silently asking me a million questions. I shook my head. Slowly nodding, he pulled me into his arms. He had cut his hair from it's usual shoulder length. Now, his hair barely reached his neck. As he hugged me, I tangled my fingers into his strawberry hair. The soft, red curls wrapped around my fingers.

He smiled and pulled away. "I'm glad you're okay," he whispered, stepping back with a smirk, "I can hug you and more later. You still have my number." I rolled my eyes.

Finally, Kaldur strode towards me quickly. He wrapped his strong, tan arms around me and pulled me up and out of my chair. I let him hold me up. I didn't think it was possible, but he seemed to have put on some more muscle. Unlike Roy, his hair was still shaved. 

Kaldur took a deep breath, pulling me tighter against him. His fingers dug deeper into my back, feeling my shoulder blades. I felt his muscles tighten against me as he inhaled. With his exhale, he slowly lowered me back down. 

His expression was so depressing, I cracked my own smile. Kaldur's eyes drifted down to my lips, recognized the action, and then smiled himself. I pushed his cheek jokingly. Kaldur steps back to join the others.

I glance up at them. They are all smiling, but their smiles are as fake as plastic. "So, what are you going to do now that you're back?" Roy asked, his eyes glinting a little.

"Train, for sure."

"Miss Athena, you should rest," Alfred coughed. I laughed.

"Pennyworth, I have rested for long enough," I lied, "I need to train."