Emotional Stirring IV

Easter was always a joyous occasion, but now even more so as it had meaning to me. As I sat through the church service, Victoria was the last thing on my mind. Walking out at eleven in the morning, I asked my mom, "What day are you guys leaving for Florida?"

"Thursday. And we'll be back on the eleventh."

I was not upset about having to deal with my first week back from spring break at home alone. I could make it work.

I remember taking a walk that day, but when I left, I did not have a route or destination in mind. I was just enjoying the cool spring day. Midterms were now all over. 

And I felt happy.

I ended up at the same hamburger place I ate at over a month earlier. Even on Easter Sunday, they had a lot of guests.

I did not have Michaela assigned to my table this time, but she noticed me and waved.

Once I was home, I took a shower, then fell asleep for two and a half hours. 

I don't remember what I dreamt about, but it was both profound and terrifying. It made so much of an impact that it was vividly in my mind when I woke up, but faded after a few seconds.

I looked at the clock. 3:58. Dinner was just over three hours away.

Soon, Alexis called. We talked about our normal, trivial things. Then she realized something.

"Isn't it spring break? Well? What's your story idea?"

"Sorry. I've been so busy. I'll have one soon."

"It's okay," she said. "How's Victoria?"

"Well...."

I hadn't even given her much thought at all over the past month! Not only had she not responded, but I felt guilty about not thinking of her.

"I assume she's fine," I said. "But I still haven't heard from her."

We went to my grandmother's house for Easter dinner. We had a rack of lamb, in keeping with tradition, which I actually preferred to her standard pulled pork. I had no scandalous secrets to share, but the conversation was already exciting enough. 

Even though I didn't say a word of it, Victoria remained on my mind.

On the last day of March, the rest of my family left for Florida, leaving me alone in Pasadena. Three days passed, then I began school again. But on the third day, I felt the need to know what was up with Victoria stronger than ever. 

That's the problem with being alone with your thoughts. You think too much. And when you think too much, your mind goes around in circles..

I called Alexis that evening. 

"Milton, I have to tell you this," she said. "I told my mom I was pregnant for April Fools' Day. She actually believed me."

"Wow," I said. "I didn't do anything drastic like that. Especially after saying I had cancer last year."

"That wasn't funny," she said. "I would have slapped you if I was close enough."

"I don't know," I said. "Was it really that bad?"

"Yes," she said.

"Go die in a fatal rope swing accident," I joked.

"Wow," she laughed. "Of all the ways I could die, you choose a fatal rope swing accident. Wow."

"It's from a book," I said.

"I know that. It's just strange that you would bring that up."