Chapter 17

Grace sat across Cole's lap as they made their way back home. The other two horses were tied to Remi and following behind. Cole was fairly confident they would make it back to Red Valley within another couple of hours. They could take a different route home shaving off hours of time since they didn't have to accommodate a wagon.

"I can't believe that it's over. I don't have to look over my shoulder any more or live in fear for Blake." Grace said, as she reveled in the feel of her husband's strong arms wrapped around her. She had told Cole everything; how Henry had been part of her kidnapping and them putting her in the crate to get her out of town. How Jeremiah had been so cocky and sure of himself that he let her outside alone. And finally, how they had wrestled and she'd managed to throw him off and that's when the snake bit him.

"He mentioned something about needing to marry me to satisfy lawyers. I think my father must have put something in his will.

"I'll get Will Jackson in town to write to the attorney in Cedar Springs tomorrow. We'll find out what's going on." Cole hesitated for a moment before he asked her, "Do you want to move back there or stay here or move somewhere new and start fresh?"

She thought long and hard about that question. What did she want to do? Cedar Springs held all of her memories of her parents. It's where both of them were buried. Her father had built the home she grew up in for her mother. And what about the things that her mother had treasured and were supposed to be passed down to Lily and her? At the same time there were horrible memories there too, though the good memories far out weighted the bad ones.

"I want to go back and see if the hope chest my mother started for me is still there, and some family portraits, and maybe her favorite linens. But I don't want to ever move back to Cedar Springs. As far as I'm concerned, Red Valley is our home and I don't want to live anywhere else. Do you?"

"Grace, you and Blake are my life and I will live anywhere as long as you two are by my side." Cole said as he tightened his arms around her. "Let's just take one day at a time. We'll see what Will says and in the meantime, we'll get you and Blake moved back out to the ranch."

Grace nodded and curled into the warmth of her husband's arms. The scent that was uniquely his invaded her senses allowing her mind to shut the day's events away. The sway of the horse and the creak of the saddle finally lulled her to sleep. Cole thought over the day's events wondering if there was anything he could have done differently to have prevented the entire situation. Like Grace, he was extremely relieved to finally have this behind them. They would never have to worry about Jeremiah again.

There were still the other two men that he had to find but that wouldn't be hard. Neither one could be too smart if they were working for someone like Jeremiah. Grace had told him that the men were supposed to be on their way back to Cedar Springs. Hopefully they would still be waiting on Jeremiah when he got there. He had to admit though, he was relieved that Grace didn't want to move back. Red Valley did feel like home to him.

The rest of the ride back to Red Valley was uneventful. They went to pick up Blake from Anne and Andy's and Cole gave the sheriff a quick version of what had happened. Andy decided to wire the sheriff of Cedar Springs and get as much information as he could for his friend. He also wanted the other two men picked up as soon as they got back. The reunited family went back to the hotel where Cole ordered a hot bath sent up as soon as possible.

As soon as they reached their room, Grace stripped off her soiled clothes and threw them into the fireplace, then slid on her robe. At Cole's raised brows, she simply said; "I don't want any reminders of today. It's over and I will never have to worry about that horrible monster again."