Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It had been three weeks since Lily had fallen in the creek and Cole had kissed her. She had to stop thinking about the kiss. It had been nice and she had enjoyed it, but it had also been a mistake and she had more important things to worry about anyway. She needed to get to town and buy a few things so she could get her canning done for the winter. There hadn't been time to plant a garden, so she would have to try and buy enough vegetables to last them until next spring when she could plant a garden.

The sound of Lily's laughter drew her attention to the corral outside. It looked like Cole and Sam were teaching Lily how to ride. Grace smiled to herself. She had never seen Lily so happy and for that she would be forever grateful to Cole. If he hadn't offered her this job, she would still be working for Henry. Just the thought sent shivers down her spine.

Grace grabbed her shawl and headed for the corral. "Mr. Weston." Grace called. "Mr. Weston." She said in a louder voice. "Oh! I know that man heard me." Grace mumbled to herself. Cole was standing with his back to Grace; one foot was propped up on the bottom rail of the fence, with his arms were draped over the top rail watching Sam lead Lily on Buttercup. Grace took just a moment to admire him from his broad shoulders down to his long powerful legs in his black form fitting denims.

Lily had her head thrown back laughing at something Cole had said and for just the briefest second Grace felt a stab of jealousy. Grace furrowed her brow at that. Why would she be jealous of Lily? Because Cole spends time with her and goes out of his way to make her happy, a little voice inside her said. He was a strange man. Warm and laughing one minute and cold and serious the next.

She wanted to know more about him but she knew better than to ask about his past. She knew that he'd been a bounty hunter, and that he was part Indian. That was about it. Well, no he knew about ranching too. Grace didn't want people nosing around her past, so she certainly wasn't going to go nosing around someone else's. No matter how badly she wanted to know.

"Mommy, look at me!" Lily said as Sam coaxed Buttercup to a slow trot.

Grace smiled and waved. "Hold on tight and do what Mr. Sam tells you to do."

"Yes ma'am." Lily said with another giggle and a huge smile on her angelic face.

"Mr. Weston." Grace called for the third time as she walked up beside Cole.

Cole took his finger and lifted the brim of his hat as he turned to face her. "Miss. Grace" he said in a slow drawl then gave her a heart stopping dimpled smile.

It should be illegal for a man to have a smile like that. Grace thought to herself as she was trying to gather her scrambled thoughts. "Uh- Er- Um-." That horrid man knows what he did and he's enjoying it. Well two can play that way. Putting on her brightest smile she said," Mr. Weston, I would like to borrow the wagon to go to town and pick up some supplies. I need to start trying to get things ready for winter. I really should have already had all my canning done, but we didn't have time for a proper garden."

Cole turned his head back to face Sam and Lily. Sam started to chuckle and Cole just shook his head. "Dammit." He muttered to himself. With a heavy sigh he turned back to Grace. "I was just telling Sam that I needed to go into town and pick up some supplies myself; you can ride with me. I really don't want you going to town by yourself. I'll go hitch up the wagon. Be ready in ten minutes." With that he walked off.

"Come on Lily and get ready to go to town."

"But mommy, please let me stay with Uncle Sam. I don't want to go to town, I want to ride Buttercup. Please, Please let me stay." Lily begged.

Grace was opening her mouth to tell Lily to come on when Sam interrupted her by saying, "Miss. Grace, let her stay. I'm done with my work today and I'd like to teach her a few more riding tips." Sighing, Grace gave in. What else could she do? She certainly couldn't say, "No you have to go with me because I don't want to be alone with that man." She went back to her cabin to get a heavier shawl; the wind seemed to be picking up a little.