Chapter 8

Grace woke to the sun just starting its assent over the horizon giving the room a rosy golden glow. She instantly noticed that Cole was gone, and ran her hand over to his side of the bed finding it cold. Frowning she lay there looking out the white lace curtains as the sun continued to rise. A wave of nausea washed over her; she threw back the covers and rushed across the room to the water basin just making it before her stomach heaved and emptied its contents.

Cole was just walking through the door when he saw her fly across the room to the water basin. He rushed over and wrapped his arms around her shoulders and held her hair back. When she was done she washed her mouth out with a glass of water, and he picked her up and carried her back to the bed.

"Are you OK? Do I need to go get the doctor?"

Grace's face flamed with embarrassment at him finding her in such a situation. "No, I'm fine. Really. I think it was just everything that has happened the last couple of days. I feel better already." Smiling, she got up and got her clothes so she could dress. "I'm actually a little hungry."

Cole got up and walked across the room, he did not want to see her get dressed. "I'll wait for you downstairs." He said gruffly and shut the door behind him. It's going to kill me to push her away, but that's the only way to keep her safe. I just need to keep telling myself that, he thought.

Grace looked at the door and frowned. What had just happened? One minute he's tender and caring and the next he's short and gruff. She dressed in the clean clothes Cole had brought for her. She decided to just put her hair in a loose braid instead of a bun. Her head was still tender and she didn't think she could stand wearing it up. Her lip looked better. It wasn't swollen anymore, it just had a small scab on the side of her bottom lip, but her chin still had light bruises where Billy had grabbed her. She looked a little pale and had light circles under her eyes, but other than that she looked pretty much like normal.

Smiling she remembered last night. She'd had no idea you could make love so many different ways. Cole had been so careful of her back but still made love to her so passionately. It was almost as if he was trying to pour a lifetime of lovemaking into one night. Grace's face was still pink when she walked into the lobby a few minutes later.

Cole's breath caught in his throat as Grace floated down the steps. There eyes caught and there was nothing he could do but watch as she walked to him. "Are you ready to get something to eat?" Turning to walk out the door he left Grace no choice but to follow or be left behind. Frowning she followed him to the diner next door.

Grace tried repeatedly to draw Cole into conversations all day long. He either ignored her or gave her the shortest possible answer. This gave her ample time to reflect on things. Thankfully, she had her own horse to ride so she wouldn't be tortured by having to ride with her body pressed against his all day. He'd traded Billy's horse for a beautiful chestnut mare she'd named Belle. She didn't want any reminders of Billy! They stopped only long enough to water and rest the horses, eating their lunch of jerky in the saddle. The sun was beginning its dissent as the Double C came into view. Cole stopped his horse and waited for Grace to stop beside him.

Without looking at Grace, Cole spoke. "Look, since Billy is no longer a threat, I think it would best if you started staying in your cabin again." Kicking Remi's sides, Cole galloped toward the ranch. He hadn't seen the hurt on Grace's face or the pain in her eyes. She had no choice again but to follow him, but she did so at a much slower pace. She needed to get her emotions under control before seeing anyone.

Grace lay in bed that night missing the warmth of Cole's body and the security of his arms. It was crazy really; they had shared a bed barely two months. How could you miss someone so much? Lightning flashed through the windows causing her to jump as thunder rumbled in the distance. Normally she liked storms but tonight it only worked on her already frayed nerves.