Chapter 7

Grace lay on her side trying to keep as much distance between her and Billy as possible. He was in front of her and the wall of the run down shack was behind her. It hadn't snowed in weeks and spring was trying to take hold; the days were cool but the nights were cold. Not cold enough to snow but still cold enough to need a fire at night. A tear slid down her cheek as she thought of Cole out in the cold night air. Was he warm? Did he have anything to eat? Did he find shelter from the rain?

She had heard the men around the ranch talking once before about how good a tracker Cole was. Grace didn't know if anyone could track in the rain but she hoped like hell he could. Billy had retied her hands but this time in the front. Grace tried to wiggle and twist her hands to stretch the ropes but it didn't seem to be working, all it did was chafe her skin even more. Frustrated, Grace did the only thing she could do. Sleep. Or at least try to sleep. If Cole came for her she would need to have a clear head and that required sleep. Grace closed her eyes and remembered the nights she had spent in his arms. That alone made it possible for her to drift off.

The first gray light of dawn was just beginning to show as Cole woke from a fitful sleep. He'd dreamed of Grace all night. Getting up he spread out the coals from last night's fire to make sure it was completely out. He took some jerky and a canteen of water out of his saddle bags and sat down for a few more minutes. It wasn't quite light enough for him to track. By the time he had finished his jerky, had a few swallows of water, and saddled Remi it was light enough for him to move out.

He was somewhat familiar with the area and the only possible place he could think of was an old abandoned homestead. It was only a couple more hours away so he turned Remi in that direction and took off. Cole would stop every so often looking for tracks and signs but it had rained long enough last night to wash them all away. His only choice was where he was headed.

Cole pulled Remi to a stop and eased off of him. "Stay here boy," he whispered softly as he patted the horse's glossy black neck. Dropping down to his belly, Cole inched his way to the top of a small rise that looked down on the house. It was the moment of truth. Holding his breath, he took off his hat and peaked over to see smoke rising from the old chimney. He sagged with relief when he saw Billy walking back into the house. Cole began to methodically pick his way down to the house going to the side with the boarded up windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please Mr. Stone; I need to use the outhouse." Grace was almost in tears her bladder was so full. She didn't know how much longer she would be able to hold it.

"I'll let you go but I'm going with you."

Grace's cheeks bloomed with color but she didn't care at that point. "Will you please untie my hands? I promise I won't do anything or try to run. I just need to go." Billy untied her hand and pulled his gun motioning for her to walk. Grace tried to rub the feeling back into her hands as she stumbled out of the shack into the cool morning air. She didn't even have a shawl with her. Grace was about to reach for the door of the outhouse when Billy stopped her. He reached around her and opened the door looking in to make sure there was nothing in there she could use as a weapon. Satisfied he said, "You have one minute so you had better hurry. If you aren't coming out I will come in and get you. Understood?" Grace nodded and went inside shutting the door behind her.

Finally relieved, Grace began to look around the dimly lit interior of the outhouse to see if just maybe Billy had overlooked something she could use as a weapon. Finding nothing she sighed and went back outside. Again Billy put the gun in her back as she walked back to the shack. When she opened the door to go back into the shack Grace stopped in her tracks, her eyes wide with disbelief. Billy ran into her causing her to stumble, but before she could fall a hand shot out, grabbing a handful of hair snatching her back to her feet, and against the chest of her kidnapper. It happened so fast Grace could only gasp at the pain from her hair being pulled.