37) You know what we have to do next, right?

Chapter Thirty-Seven: You Know What We Have To Do Next, Right?

    We were hiding behind one of the tables, taking fire from the other side. I was covered in cake and cream and whatever else people were throwing here, there and everywhere.

    Everyone in the hall had unknowingly decided to split up into two groups and cry bloody murder, each side trying to take the other down first. Strawberries and chunks of bread were flying overhead as Adam and I kept out of dodge.

    The teachers tried to break up our immature behaviour but only found themselves caught between the two warring sides, all of us finding it funny to direct our fire at them until they either dashed to the safety of the sidelines or chose a side of their own. If you can't beat them, join them. That's what I say.

    I took a risk and leant out the side to find a target. There was a boy who was currently scrounging the dance floor for a re-fill of bullets. I took aim with a handful of skittles and threw them as hard I could. A second later he screamed at the shower of sweets on his head and retreated back behind his own table.

    Yes! Right on the noggin, bulls-eye!

    “Another one bites the dust! Ah! Twenty-one.” I relayed to Adam.

    He threw a smile at me. “I'm at twenty-seven. Do try to keep up, Shay-Shay.”

    Never one to back down from a challenge, I searched the immediate area but found no more food to take out my next target. So I dashed from one table to the next until I bumped into Liss and Mark. Her dress was practically ruined, covered in God only knew what. Her hair was soaking wet as if she'd dunked it inside a bowl of punch, with strands of noodles stuck to her left cheek.

    Mark barely had anything on him though, other than a red stain on his shoulder which I could only imagine he got by running into someone armed with tomato soup. They had teamed up together and were ruthless in their attacks.

    “I'm out of ammo.” I told them both, expecting them to make some magically appear for me.

    They looked at me and shrugged. “Your not having any of ours.”

    “What? Share some of yours, I've got to beat Adam!”

    Liss hid her hands from me, in fear I'd wrestle her for the rest of her last ammunition.

    Mark had been playing way too many video games, because he picked up an apple that rolled on past and eyed it out like it was a live grenade that was about to go off any second, and threw it to the other side.

    “Hey, who threw that apple? No fruit! Fruit hurts!”

    Mark chuckled mischievously, and then handed Melissa some mini-sausage rolls.

    “How come he gives you stuff and not me?” I pouted, holding my hand out expectantly.

    “Because he's my boyfriend. Go find your own!” Liss stuck her tongue out at me. I was pretty sure she had been dying to say that out loud all night. I'll admit it was going to take me some time to get used to her having a boyfriend, and me actually liking him for once.

    “Psh! Charming! After all I've done for you, you can't even give your best friend one measly sausage-roll?”

    “Fine,” she rolled her eyes, giving in. “But just one! That's it!”