35) Tonight's just one of those nights

Chapter Thirty-Five: Tonight's Just One of Those Nights

    I sent a quick text to Nate asking him where he was and that I was waiting from him. I hoped I gave him the impression that I was by myself and all alone, that might make him get here faster. I couldn't think about the alternative. He had to be here, end off.

    I went over to the buffet table and snuck up behind Ki, I saw him fidgeting on the spot as he kept shoving mini hot-dogs into his mouth. Then every few seconds he'd stand up on his tip-toes and search the room. Probably searching for me.

    I gave him a tap on the shoulder and he almost jumped out of his own skin. He spun around to face me and was relieved to see who it was.

    He had a mouth full of hot dog and I waited patiently until he'd swallowed his food down. There was a spot of ketchup on the corner of his lips, but before I could tell him he spoke.

    “Roxanne,” he muttered the name breathlessly. “You're here.”

    “You didn't think I'd show, did you?” I asked him, a little insulted but mostly feeling remorse toward him.

    I saw him weigh the answer, did he lie to me or not? “Honestly, no, I didn't think you would. After you ran out on me last week, I didn't know whether to call or not. I didn't want to harass you in case you thought I was a...possessive creep, as you put it last time, and..."

    “Ki,” I interrupted calmly. “Breathe. I'm here, you're here. One phone call wouldn't have hurt though, a girl likes to be reminded that her date's been thinking about her.”

    “One call per every seven days, right I'll remember that for next time.” He echoed, and that ketchup smudge was really starting to bug me, I didn't even register what he was babbling about.

    “Stay still,” I told him as I brushed my thumb across his top lip to wipe it off. “You got ketchup on your mouth.”

    Ki stared at me with wide eyes as I licked the ketchup off my thumb. I gave him a sweet smile after, but he wasn't looking at me so sweetly.

    “You just tasted ketchup that was on my mouth.” He stated as if I'd just eaten a dead fly.

    “Yeah, and?” I frowned. What's the big deal? I wasn't exactly going to wipe it on my dress, Melissa would kill me, and I couldn't wipe it on his suit because his mother would kill me.

    He didn't say any more and just began tapping a hand restlessly on the side of his leg. After a couple of seconds he turned to me once again, a strike of inspiration clear as lightning in his bright, blue eyes.

    “You look beautiful, by the way, Roxanne.” He flattered, then added smoothly. “As always you're a sight to behold.”

    “Why thank you, Ki.” I beamed, he didn't even need to be reminded this time round. He was learning fast. “You're looking very handsome tonight, too. We make quite the pair, don't we?”

    “I suppose we do.” He agreed quietly. “Um, oh, I should ask now, shouldn't I?”

    “Ask me what?”

    “Do you want to dance with me?”

    “Erhm,” I hesitated, my gaze flickered towards the dance floor. It was too fresh of a scar to revisit. What if I bumped into Darren? I don't know if I could handle it. “If it's okay with you, I'd rather not. I've had enough dancing for tonight. Why don't we get something to eat and sit down for a while?”