21) I'm not your girl

Chapter Twenty-One: I'm not your girl

    “So how did you escape jail this time?” Melissa asked me, surfacing from her homework every once in a while.

    I turned from watching the window for Darren's car to show up and take us on our date, to sit on the sofa. I was so nervous, and I didn't even know why! I just have to remember to play my part correctly and everything will be fine. I readjusted the blonde wig on my head and pursued my lips, painted with a thick layer of lip gloss that felt like I had just kissed a plate of peanut butter.

    Then I remembered that Liss had asked me a question. “Oh. Mum slept in cause she didn't come back till late last night, so she's staying later than usual at work, and Dad had some papers to take into his work, so it wasn't really an escape.”

    I quickly glanced at the clock and my eyes narrowed. “He's making me wait. Seriously? How junior of him.”

    “Whatever he's doing it's working.” I heard Liss mutter.

    My glare jumped to her and I crossed my arms. “What's that supposed to mean?”

    “It's the Darren effect.” She shrugged. “At one time or another every girl will fall sick with him. It's what makes him one of the hottest guys in school. Here I thought you were a professional.”

    “Hey! I am a professional! And I do not have the Darren-sickness or whatever. I'm just tried with all these boys and dates and disguises. It's so stressful, you have no idea.”

    “Mhmm... I feel your pain, Shay. You're going on an awesome date with Darren and I'm stuck at home doing homework.”

    “Just think how much of an amazing friend I am.” I told her, fidgeting about in my seat. “I'm doing all the hard work for you. I'm finding out all the pros and cons for each guy, and at the end all you gotta do is read which one you think is your best match. I bet every girl would wish for a best friend like me, you don't know how lucky you are!”

    Just to show me how much Melissa, my supposed best friend in the whole entire wide world, appreciates me she throws a cushion at me. In my face.

    “What was that for?” I demanded, fumbling for the cushion to throw it back at her.

    “I don't know, thought it might knock the bad mood out of you.”

    “I'm not in a bad mood.”

    “Er, yes you are. I feel sorry for Darren, he chose a bad day to go on a date with you.”

    I raised the cushion to send flying across the room to shut her up when there was a knock at the door. I froze instantly and stood up.

    “It's him. You answer it.” I told her.

    “Why? He'll just ask for you.”

    “Yeah and you tell him I will be five minutes. Don't let him in, make him wait out in the porch.”

    “That's just being mean.” She said as she put her homework assignments aside and walked out of the living room and towards the front door.

    “Yeah well, he started it. Two can play at his game.” I whispered to myself as I inched closer to hear his reaction.

    Melissa opened the door.