chapter five

I grabbed my shirt off the corner of my bed and lifted my arms, the effort alone using every bit of my strength as the hungover taking over my senses washed over me. The faintest knock on the door made me jump as I turned my head, watching as a tired Luke stepped in. The old feeling in the pit of my stomach resurfacing, the one I used to get whenever I saw him.  The feeling was so childish yet held so much power over me that I couldn't help but stare at him, the emotions intensifying as it travels down my body and settling between my legs. I was yanked from my thoughts when Luke pulled me closer towards his body.

"Can you promise me something?" He asked.

"Anything," I smiled, running my hand vertically across the hairs on his left arm, the cool feeling of metal meeting my hand as I met his - the rings on his fingers sending a sharp chill down my spine as he intertwined his fingers lightly. 

"Don't leave. I know I said it once last night, but I mean it. Things...things aren't safe right now and I can't live another second knowing something bad can happen to you. I already had to endure that feeling and I don't want to feel it again,"

I had felt as if my chest was collapsing in on itself. I found myself studying his face, as if I couldn't believe the words that leave his lips. He grabbed hold of my neck, pressing his lips harshly onto mine. His tongue pressed against my bottom lip and It took me every ounce of my being to fight the urge to give him every ounce of me, but I knew I was enjoying every moment. All of the memories were piling up all at once, it was enough to drive someone insane. He pushed me down onto the bed, latching his teeth to the skin of my neck as he hovered over my body. I tangled my fingers into his smooth curls, tugging on the ends to force a groan. He slipped his hand under my shirt, kneading at my hardening nipples. I didn't want it to stop until that is Lex interrupts.

"You need to go," She informed him, an annoyed look on her face.

"Are you going to..." I trailed off, holding onto his arm.

"I need to talk to Rickie and reason with him. It's the only chance we'll have," He admits, walking over to the suitcase on the table. "So, I need you to stay here and keep an eye on this briefcase for me," He adds. My eyes peered past him, looking towards the black briefcase that laid unbothered on the table. I could recall all the times I had seen him carry it before and as I studied the case, it appeared as if it was the exact same one as he had before. It was almost as if he held onto it like it held some sort of value other than holding all means of income he had. 

"No, I want to go with you. I'm just as much a part of this as you two are," I plead, knowing there wasn't a single lie within that statement.

After a moment of arguing, he agrees, leaving them no choice but to bring the other briefcase. I grabbed my coat, and followed them out the door, and down towards the elevator. Luke wrapped his arm around me as we met the morning air, the stench of marijuana that stuck to his clothes filled my nose as he pulled me closer into him. 

"I have a bad feeling about all this, maybe she needs to stay back," Lex's voice rang in from behind us. I turned my head to see the fear that laced her eyes. I knew it was a bad idea, it wasn't like I didn't think about that before I suggested coming along -- I was merely thinking about the fact that I don't want to hide in the shadows anymore.

"It's her choice," As Luke spoke, I knew he didn't like anything about this, but he wasn't questioning things. Maybe he wanted me to learn what I needed to expect or he was scared saying no to me would drive me away. Either way, we continued to walk -- the thought continuing to dwell in my mind. We walked towards the building across the street; Luke's car was stowed away inside. I watched as he walked up towards the trunk, opening up the hidden compartment and placing the second briefcase inside it while Lex held onto the other one -- the one filled with the money.