First Sight

So here’s the story of my uncle Aaron, from his own diary. I still don’t get how he remembered all of the dialogues but my mother used to say that your uncle Aaron had the greatest memory of all the people I had met in my life. He never forgot anything…

I am a surgical intern; my life is going out as I planned. I have left my dark past way behind and now there is nothing pulling me back from my goal. I have buried my past so deep but I still remember everything. I guess there are some things you just cannot run away from. Problem of life in my perspective all start with girls. Yes girls, my past is associated with a particular girl which was the foundation for this perspective of mine. This foundation was starting to crumble at some point but then some events happened and this perspective of mine became more firm.

   The day was Wednesday, a cloudy day and the expectation of rain was high. It was like any other day as it rained much in this part of the country I lived. Little did I know that this was not like any other day? I woke up and then went to the hospital. The rounds were just about to start. I entered the interns lounge and changed into my scrubs. The resident I was appointed to, was Dr. Holly Lambert, I, with my other fellow interns started the rounds. After the rounds I was appointed to a patient with Osteosarcoma (Bone Cancer). I did the patient’s pre-op and then he was sent to surgery, luckily I was asked to scrub in on that surgery. It was so far going as an awesome day; a 12 hour surgery is just what I needed. After 18 hours my shift ended and I started to walk home. It was raining and I loved rain but I was an intern so I couldn’t afford to get sick so I opened up my umbrella and started trotting home. Every day when I walked towards my apartment, memories of the past came flashing back to me. My life could have been different if I hadn’t met her. I might not even be a doctor if it wasn’t for her. I thought on how much she influenced my life. The good and the bad. It really was her mistake that I was left broken. Yes I was grateful to her that because of her I had become the man I now was but at the cost of nearly losing my life. I will never forgive her for what she did to me, because the thing that she did not even an enemy would do.

“HEY!”

Did someone just shout hey?

“Hello mister, the one with the umbrella.” – The voice of a girl hit me

I turned around and saw a girl fully drenched in water, her lips curved into a smile after seeing me stop, walking towards me.

“Can I help you miss?” – I asked

“Yes, could you please drop me to my home as you have an umbrella and I am fully drenched and freezing?” – She said

I was a little taken aback by what she just said and then I reminded myself of the promise I made to myself and said to her politely.

“Here take my jacket and my umbrella, my house is just around the corner so I don’t need them anymore.” – I replied

“Are you sure?” – She asked

Honestly speaking, I was not sure at that time but I just couldn’t leave someone in that rain so I gave her my coat and umbrella.

“Yes, I am sure.” – I replied

And then I gave her both my coat and umbrella.

“I will return them soon, I promise” – She said

“No need to.”

   And then she smiled and waved and left. I also continued on my way home. I slept soundly as I always did and woke up the next morning, got ready and went to the hospital. That day I was on post-op of a certain patient. That day went as boring as hell as I was monitoring that patient and just thinking. After a 20 hour shift that day, I as usual started to trot home. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice.