Chapter 21

Dana and Callie toyed with their cold drinks. They'd been banished to the hospital cafe by the nursing staff who were preparing to remove Alice's breathing tube.

Despite lack of sleep Dana was more alert than she had been the previous day.

She felt Callie's eyes search her face and tried to smile back, guessing that her friend was looking for signs of delayed shock.

'Time to talk about Helmut, come on spill the beans...'

‘It doesn't seem right, are you sure you want to hear about it?’

‘At least tell me how you re-encountered each other after your eyes met over that jar of organic honey,' Dana insisted.

'Helmut, isn't really a honey bear, although he is terribly sweet, honey was just the nearest thing to hand,' Callie sighed. 'He is an art historian, his talk was on the Caravaggio that was lost during the bombing of Berlin. He spotted me in the audience and…’

‘And?’

‘He's invited me to visit him in Berlin...'

'Wunderbar! When are you going?' This time Dana didn’t have to try to smile.

'That depends,' answered Callie.

'On what?'

'On what happens with Alice. You might need my help to get her back to Sydney.'

'That is so you Callie - that's why I love you,’ Dana felt tears coming, she squeezed Callie’s hand. ‘Don’t make Herr Honey-bear wait on our account.'

'He says he's been waiting all his life... he's so adorable.'

'I know, and I also know he organised the seaplane but I haven't thanked him yet.'

'Don't worry, I have,' Callie giggled.

The colour drained from Dana's face.

'I'm sorry that was thoughtless… '

'Sean.'

Callie turned to see Sean striding past the café entrance.

'What is he doing here? I can't see him. Not now, not now.'

They watched him move towards the lifts.

Callie felt Dana’s hand tremble. 'Okay, here's what we are going to do. You go back up to Alice via the stairs. They won’t let him past the desk. I'll follow him up in the lift and find out what he wants.' She craned her neck to watch Sean's progress, 'Lift doors are opening, he's stepping in... coast is clear, off you go.'

Callie waited until Dana was out of sight and took out her mobile. 'Sweetie, where are you? Sean has just arrived. Dana looked as if she was about to have a panic attack.... Ok, will do, see you in five.' She stepped into the lift.