Chapter 22

Callie and Helmut found Dana in the visitors' room. Voice shaking, she explained that they wouldn't let her see Alice. And they wouldn't tell her anything. ‘Something must be wrong.’

Callie put a reassuring arm around Dana's shoulder. Helmut enveloped the two women in his arms just as Dr Vella entered the room.

'I heartily approve of group hug therapy!' He was pleased to report that Alice was breathing on her own and that her vital signs were good. Now they'd have to wait till she came out of her unconscious state.

'Oh, thank god! And thank you! Can I see her now?'

'Yes, but only on the condition that you take some time out to refresh yourself. It might be a long wait until she wakes up. I'd advise you to bring in reading material and music - reading out loud, speaking to her, playing her favourite music - all these things will help to stimulate the brain and bring her back to us.'

***

'Sean is determined to speak to Dana. Perhaps, he brings his uncle and we get her to meet him?' Helmut and Callie were waiting for Dana in the hospital car-park.

Callie shrugged. ‘She still hasn’t said what happened on Gozo. And Cedric is apparently terrified of Alice.'

‘Sean seemed torn...' Helmut broke off and whispered, 'She's coming.'

'Right all set,' Dana's mood was positive. 'I'm going to make a list of Alice's favourite books and music and then try to find stuff.' She climbed into Helmut’s hire car. 'Drop me off at...'

He held up his hand, 'I'm in charge. First you freshen up and eat some good, healthy food. I'll take your list and have my spies organise as much music and as many books as exist on this tiny island to please Miss Alice. If need be I'll send out to Italy and beyond! Leave it to me!' He finished with a flourish as he eased the car into the traffic.

Dana leaned between the two front seats and kissed his arm through the sleeve of his shirt.

 ***

 'What day is it? It feels like weeks since Saturday.' After a long shower, Dana looked refreshed. She and Callie had just sat down to a room service snack on the balcony of Alice’s room at the Phoenicia.

'It's Monday, only days not weeks. But I know what you mean. Here's a message for you, from the manager, I think.’

'Oh, that's kind. He says that I am in his thoughts and that 'the staff stand ready to assist in every way. Please don't hesitate to make any requests whatsoever. Best wishes to Miss Carton for a speedy recovery.' I'll read that to Alice.' Dana slipped the note into her pocket.

'I wonder if Louis has missed us.' She took a bite of her sandwich.

'Marija has told him about Alice, an abridged version, we didn't think he needed the full story. And as for me and Louis, I confronted him about his stalking allegation and said that I was thinking of talking to Paul Pinto. He grovelled as Gabriella made victory signs behind his back.’

'And Marija, will she and Gianni manage without us?'

‘The Rhine Maidens are still there and I met Rosencrantz and Guildenstern this morning.'

‘Who?’

'Frederick and Christian, the hunky Danish boys that Marija mentioned last week. They’ll help with the olive harvest. Plus the season is winding down. Don't worry about GoM - you've got more pressing matters to deal with.'

'You haven't mentioned Sean, did you speak with him at the hospital?' Eyes fixed on the plate in front of her, Dana tried to keep her voice steady.

'He wanted to know how you were. Anna filled him in on Alice...'

Tears welled in Dana's eyes.

'Dana, what happened with Sean? Can you talk about it?'

'It seems so meaningless now but when I found out that he and Joseph had bet on whether I'd have sex in exchange for information about Cedric, my brain exploded! All I could think of was getting out of that house and away from him. Then your call…'

'Joseph, he knows Joseph? And he bet that you'd…? Oh that's, that’s just tacky, poor you!' Callie reached out a hand.

'The worst of it is - he won. Now I think about it the whole weekend thing was a set up. He and Graziella acted like conspirators, Anna put us in the same room, I drank too much, we danced… Then Joseph turned up.' She pushed her plate away, the bitterness returned in a rush. 'What a stupid, bloody idiot I've been. They must all be laughing their heads off.'

'Sean didn't look as if he'd been doing much laughing, or sleeping for that matter. He wants to see you and explain ...'

Dana cut her short, 'No, absolutely no way.'

'He's still the way to Cedric.'

'No! Cedric is lost to Alice. The sooner we accept that the sooner we can move on and get over this whole thing.' Dana stood up, 'I'm going back to hospital. I have to be there in case she wakes up.'

The steely note in Dana's voice told to Callie that the subject of Sean was closed.