Chapter 17

Once again they stood together at a ferry railing, this time Dana didn’t resist the urge the rest her head on his shoulder. Sean pointed to Comino, the tiny island that lies in the short stretch of water between Malta and Gozo. As a boy visiting Comino, he would pretend to be a pirate because he'd heard tales that the island had once been a hideout for pirates and smugglers.

'Now it's overun by tourists but they stick to the area around the Blue Lagoon so I could still indulge my pirate fantasy. I'll take you there when the tourist season is over.'

'Aye Capn Saxby, I'll look forward ta that,' Dana attempted a mock pirate voice and wondered if he'd forgotten that she was supposed to be leaving in ten days.

He suggested a swim before joining the house party. 'Once we get there it will be cocktails and gossip. Anna's not one for getting her hair wet.'

Dana gave him a sidelong glance, Nervous about meeting up with the ex?

***

'This has to be one of the most beautiful beaches outside of Australia.’ She stripped down to her bikini and ran into the waves. He raced in after her.

Back on the sand Dana realised that Sean was trying not to stare at the rise and fall of her breasts. He closed his eyes. When he opened them again she had rolled towards him and propped herself up on her elbow. 'I'm glad I've already met Anna. How long have you two been friends?'

'Oh, quite a while, her family and mine have been friends for ages.'

You still doesn’t trust me? This is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

She picked up a handful of sand and drizzled it on his bare chest, 'Did you go to University together?'

He smiled up into her face which was now just above his, 'No, I studied computer science here and in London. She studied fashion and business in Rome. That's where she met her husband Marco - he's Italian did I tell you?'

Are you deliberately changing the subject?

He stretched up to kiss her but she pulled away. 'What about lunch, I'm starving.'

*** 

Sean pulled up at the gated entrance to a long drive way.

'Last chance to back out.'

His mouth smiled but his green eyes were serious.

Dana held his gaze. 'I think we both know I've come too far for that.'

The smile spread to his eyes. 'Well is there anything you want to ask me before we enter the lions' den?'

Repressing the urge to mention Cedric, she began, 'I know that this is the house of the beautiful Anna, my new best friend, and her Italian sailor husband, Marco...'

'He prefers the title, 'capitano',' Sean corrected.

'I'll call him whatever he wants if he takes us sailing. Then there's your 'ex' Graziella, the marketing manager, who I imagine is drop dead gorgeous. And who else will be here?'

'Marco's friend, Pippo will make up the numbers. He's also a skipper; like Marco he takes charter  yachts all around the Mediterranean for obscenely wealthy clients. A few more are coming to lunch tomorrow. Not sure who Anna is expecting.' answered Sean.

'And the sleeping arrangements?'

'Ah, yes, you and Graz will share and Pippo and I will share unless there are any developments.’

She raised her eyebrows; he added, ‘You never know, Graz and Pippo might hit it off!'

'If you've known Anna forever, I hope she's got some embarrassing stories to tell me.’