Chapter 13

‘Buy yourself some dresses, make sure they show off your lovely figure. And what about some pretty sandals? And jewellery. And perfume.'

Dana protested, Alice ignored her, ‘I want you to be at your most beautiful so take my credit card, you know the PIN.'

The last thing Dana wanted to do was give Sean the impression that she was out to seduce him for information but it was useless to argue with her aunt. She sighed in defeat.

'Yes, I know darling, but do this for me, please. Take Callie with you. I can tell she has a good eye and make sure that you buy something pretty for her. And don't forget Marija!'

 ***

'I should warn you right now, I'm not big on shopping. I usually buy the first thing I see. Plus I brought one good dress with me which should do.' Dana explained they entered City Gate and headed towards the main shopping area.

'Except that you wore it out to dinner with Sean the other night. Look Dana, with your body you'd look good in a potato sack. And once Sean sees you in your incy-wincy, teeny-weeny bikini he won't care about what else you might, or might not, wear this weekend. But you should look your best, if only for the sake of the ex-girlfriend.' Callie pulled out an A4 sheet of paper. 'I've made a list.’ 

'Oh, no,' Dana groaned.

First stop was a boutique in Triq ir-Repubblika. 'Are you kidding? All that studded leather, I'm going to a house party not an S&M club.'

'Let's try the next one, it's just down here.’ Callie walked along trying to make out the names.

'No way - I'm too old for this stuff,' Dana complained. The teenage shop assistant looked up from her phone and right through them.

'Sorry didn't catch what you said, the music was too loud.' Callie led the way back out the door.

'I said, let's try Marks and Sparks, that's more my thing unless there's a Kathmandu around here somewhere.' 

'Don't think that Kathmandu have much in the way of 'after five' wear.' Callie continued around the corner and straight past the entrance to Marks and Spencers.

'Let's try the next one, I can't pronounce the name - is that Italian or Malti? - it stocks clothes by Maltese designers.'

They found the shop, 'Gnien', tucked a way in a lane. It looked promising: rich colours and beautiful fabrics: jersey, silk, chiffon, even lightweight, superfine wool.

'Hey, this label says the wool is from Tasmania, it's really light.' Dana fondled the burnt orange fabric.

'Look at the colour!' exclaimed Callie.

'Yes, natural fabrics take dye so much better than synthetics.' 

Dana and Callie turned in the direction of the voice; it belonged to Anna, Sean’s ‘friend’.

Dana pretended to study the label.

Callie managed to murmur her agreement about natural fibres.

'Do I detect Australian accents?' Anna came out from behind the counter. 

'Um, yes,' Callie responded, her tone a shade too bright.

'I thought so. Every second person in Malta has an Australian connection. Do you have relatives here?' 

'No, we are tourists,' answered Dana turning around.

'Well, congratulations on finding my shop! Are you looking for something special?'

Callie started to say that Dana had a hot date. 

Dana jumped in, 'My friend here has been invited to a big party at the Grand Master's Palace on Saturday night. The invitation says semi-formal, but we think something special is in order and I want it to be my treat!'