Chapter 16.5

Edited<3

Vote if you like!

______________________________________________________________________ 

The city was free territory.  Well actually, it did belong to our pack, but rogues were allowed to roam here; it's not like we could trap them with nowhere to go. The city was filled with werewolves even though the humans would never know.

Despite what most think, some rogues were peaceful.

A couple of years ago we had a war with a neighbouring pack, killing the alpha and leaving the survivors as rogues. We permitted those who proved themselves to join our pack, but some decided to go rogue. Some of them were bitter about the war, but they never dared to attack.

I occasionally went to the city to have fun, go to clubs, and relax. After all, I was now a college student, now. I was pretty sure I was going to be a mateless. I mean, what were the chances of me ever finding my mate in this big bad world?

As I walked away from the ATM, putting the bills in my purse, I felt a tingling sensation when my elbow slightly grazed another person's arm.

"I'm sor-" I looked up into the most beautiful sea-blue eyes I have ever seen. Short platinum blonde hair was shining in the sun like gold. To me, this guy was probably the most attractive man I've ever laid eyes on. His scent was amazing, spicy, but sweet.

He was my mate.

He was also a rogue from the other pack we had attacked.

He stared at me intensely, never breaking eye contact. We were in the middle of a busy sidewalk in the city and I had realized that we were blocking the way for the humans trying to pass through.

"Maybe we should move to the side," I said as I walked to a small bench under a tree. He emotionlessly followed me. We sat there in silence for a moment and then he spoke.

"No." I could already feel my heart breaking.

"What?" I asked, even though I already knew what was happening.

"I can't be with you," it felt like he just stabbed my stomach a thousand times. "Your pack killed too many of my own. That's why I chose to stay a rogue. My mother and father died in the war and my little sister died accidently by one of your idiot pack warriors who thought she was going to attack, when she tried to run to our parent’s corpses."

I said nothing. My heart clenched. I used to be proud of our victory. Now I felt disgusted with myself.

"I know it's not your fault, but the thought of being with someone from that pack disgusts me."

Okay, that hurt. Very badly.

He got up without another word and left. I could sense the pain he felt for rejecting. He didn't say the word because it was way too painful for him as it was for me.

After what seemed like hours, which was actually only a few minutes, I got up and drove home. I don't know how I drove there. I don’t even remember the car ride. All I remember was going into my room to cry.

My parents were worried about me. I was too unwell to leave my room or go to college. I don't remember what excuse I made, but my parents didn't push it. We always did have a good relationship. They figured I'd tell them eventually.

In the fourth week of my depression, an emergency meeting was made for all pack members, so I had to go. Apparently some of the rogues from the war were trying to attack us.

I thought nothing of it. It was just another small attack, but all male and female guards were lined up to defend. There weren't that many female warriors or guards. I was a female guard so it was mandatory I guard my wing of our territory with my group.

I changed into my wolf form. Nobody bothered to carry clothes; we wouldn't shift back until the fight was over.

I wasn't paying much attention to anything. I'd probably end up dead today anyway. I wouldn't mind that.  At least the pain would go away, but I didn't want him to be in pain.

Damn, I didn't even know my own mate's name. How sad…

I was too stupid and preoccupied to notice my group going ahead of me.

I heard a growl from behind me. How did he get in? I looked around to see where my pack mates were. They were gone. Great!

I honestly wasn't in the mood to fight. Maybe I should just let him kill me. Is a rejection really worth getting yourself killed over?

Before I could think of the answer the rogue lunged at me, only to be attacked by another rogue, successfully knocking him out.

I knew who the other rogue was. My mate. My wolf and I were filled with joy. I was impressed by the size of his large dark brown wolf. It was beautiful, like dark chocolate.  He made gesture for me to follow him.

My pack mates were calling for me through mind link. I blocked them off and followed my beautiful mate, trying to keep his pace.

What was I doing? He could be an enemy. I knew he'd never hurt me but still….

When we stopped, he pointed towards a bush.

Change.

We had the mind link! That meant the bond was still in play!

I rushed towards the bush to find a large white shirt, his shirt to be exact. I changed back and put the humungous cloth on me, making sure to button it up all the way. The top two buttons were gone but I was fairly decent and the shirt went up to my mid thighs.

His wonderful sweet and spicy scent was on it. I felt so blissful at the moment. I came from the large bushes to find him shirtless and in loose jeans.

He. Was. Beautiful.

"What's your name?"

"Lynda. You?"

"Kyle. Kyle Mateo." He paused to look at me from head to toe. I couldn't help but blush. Just his voice and stare sent tingles down my back.

"Kyle." I just wanted to feel myself address him. His name rolled off my tongue deviously.

He growled a bit. Then he snapped back into reality. "Listen," he said. "I had nothing to do with the attack. I found out you were a guard so I followed them here to protect you. The truth is I've been thinking it over and I want to be with you no matter what. We're both in pain without each other so let's stay together." He looked at me with such longing that I felt my heart melt. "I can't live without you."

Unshed tears of joy were finally rolling down my cheeks. He softly smiled and came closer to me. Just as he was about to touch my cheek, an animalistic growl was heard from my right. I knew it was my father. I'd know that growl anywhere.

In a matter of two seconds, my father had lunged at Kyle and ripped out his throat, thinking he was endangering me.

The pain, the grief  and all of it happening so fast, it left me in shock. When I woke up from my traumatic state all I felt was hellish pain…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rain POV

The pain was too much. I let go of Lo's hand. I knew the memories my mother had left weren't over, but out of everything I've ever experienced, that must've been the worst.

After I calmed down, I realized something.

"That man wasn't my father. Does that mean my parents weren't mates?"

Io and the she-wolf exchanged glances.

"We were just getting there," Io stated