Prologue

Prologue

I'll be the first to admit that I never had much luck with women. 

It was a fact of my life I had to get over. I mean, even the mother that raised me took the full route to crazy town and the girl I had crush on turned out be a evil witch, literally. I thought that I had outgrown that horrid stage of my life; it was gone, over, and done with. But as I looked at the girl in front of me, my whole world came crashing down in seconds.

Her cold barren eyes looked at me. A sudden chill of nostalgia vibrated through my spine.

"It's been a while." My voice was barely a whisper.

Her pale-stormy blue eyes softened ever so slightly as she stared at me. Her knuckles turned a pale white as her hands clenched tightly into fists. Raw emotion clung to the air causing us both to subtly shift in our spots. My gaze couldn't leave her.

I had changed, and judging by her reaction, she didn't like it. I knew why. She always hated change. She hated not being in control. She hated that she had lost control of the one thing fate had given her.

Me.

She was the epitome of beauty no matter how harsh or rough her interior was. I couldn't help but be enchanted as she analyzed every aspect of me.

A new me.

Those bewitching eyes of hers slid down my frame. Her face hardened as she took in the truth of how long we have been away from each other.

The impact of this raw revelation startled her. That small sliver of emotion I saw before broadened. Her sorrow, hurt, and anger were finally visible and the icy exterior she had created finally melted.

"Why?" she asked in a heartbroken voice. It made my insides ache at how much despair was in it.

I almost gave in. I had to go to her. I needed to hold her. I wanted to soothe her in any way possible. I wanted to go tell her it was alright. We belonged together. It was our destiny to be together, but I stopped myself.

It wasn't my fault. It was hers. The sensible part of me hated her. Why should I show her the empathy she had never given me or anyone for that matter? She was the one who was ashamed of me.

I'm different now. So many things have happened. How could I forget everything and return to her?

"Well?" her voice hardened and that soft broken voice was gone. There stood the girl I remembered. The girl I could have lived my whole life without meeting. "Answer me." she snarled in that demanding tone I always loathed.

I growled. I always hated being pushed around by her.

"Why should I?"

She flinched from the harshness. Her eyes widened. After all the blood, sweat, and tears I had put into rebuilding my life, I didn't want her back in it.

I was done with her.