Chapter 47

VIKTOR'S POV

Amanda seriously meant that she would forget that I ever said anything about my feelings for her.

For the few months before I had to go back to Sweden, she didn't treat me any differently than how she did before. And when that day finally came, I thought she'd just go on with her life like I never even existed.

She didn't.

She never really liked change, and there was nothing but that on the horizon. But there was one that she could prevent for a while, and it was in her nature to take advantage.

"It's pretty fucking stupid, but I've gotten a little attached to the guy. I'm gonna miss him," I heard her say as she came down the stairs, still in her pajamas, hair uncombed, and her phone pressed against her ear.

She didn't notice me sitting in the kitchen, and I wanted to keep it that way.

"Would you stop with the tears? You barely even knew him. You guys were together for, like, two whole seconds. I thought you didn't even like him," she continued.

So that narrowed it down to Arti.

Wait, what?

"At least you recognize that. He put up with a lot of shit for you." She paused. "Then come over and say goodbye or something." Another pause. "That isn't my problem."

She laughed. It was always so nice to hear her get caught up in a happy moment.

"Okay, fine. Just hurry up. He has to leave in, like, an hour, and I'm sure he's still got some last-minute things to do." She laughed again. "No, I am not one of them. Would you stop with that? I swear, I never should have even told you anything."

So she didn't forget, and she told Arti. My cheeks warmed up like the sun that melted away the winter snow.

She wrapped up her conversation and walked into the kitchen. She was still paying attention to what she was doing on her phone, and after a few more seconds, she looked up at me.

"I fucking hate today already, and it's only nine o'clock," she said, probably to herself and not me.

"I'm sorry," I replied.

"But if you ask me, I'd have to say it's a good thing. It means I may have accidentally formed an emotional attachment to you."

I laughed. "It's been almost a year, and you still can't admit that you don't hate me."

"I'd be lying, then. I do hate you right now. I hate you for leaving."

I smiled. "It's not forever."

"Neither is my hatred. But for now, you're making me feel things, and I can't stand it. So stop it."

"I'll make it up to you."

"Can I ask you something stupid?" she asked.

I nodded. "Anything you want."

"Could you send me something from Sweden? You know all about the US, but I don't know anything about where you came from, besides my general understanding of how the government and economy work."

I smiled. "That's a lot of pressure to find something that you'd like."

She crossed her arms but laughed anyway. "I'm not that difficult to please."

"Yes, you are. Nothing is ever good enough for you."

I watched her as she poured some cereal into a bowl, then she sat down on the table by her chair, instead of in the chair.