Chapter 23

The next Monday, I sat through my government class, waiting for the end of the day to come. The fact that the cinder block walls were painted white didn't change the prison-like atmosphere of the classroom, especially since I had somewhere to be after school that my new boyfriend-type person was slightly suspicious about and probably wouldn't like.

I loved that ice rink more than myself.

Ever since we had our minor blow-up, it was almost like Viktor treated me differently, and maybe things were different on my end too. I didn't want to throw up as much when I saw him, so that was weird.

With tryouts in a few days, Viktor and I had shifted our focus to hockey almost entirely. Everything that we had been working for the previous few weeks was about to be rewarded, hopefully.

While I knew that Viktor would make the team easily, the uncertainty of anything was enough to bother me.

The teacher droned on and on about the Constitution, and although it was an interesting topic, there was no debate that day. As much as I wanted to discuss my opinions on the Bill of Rights and to what extent those freedoms are protected, I had to shut up and listen, which was not particularly one of my skills.

The bell rang, and I headed off to calculus.

Typically, I got there before Viktor, but that day he was already sitting in his seat when I arrived. Lukas stood in front of his desk pointing a finger to Viktor's chest, and I rushed over there before anything could escalate.

"Dude, what's the problem?" I asked, strategically placing my hand between Viktor and Lukas.

Lukas turned and pointed to me. "Your dumbass boyfriend needs to learn his place. I swear to God, if he doesn't shut up—"

"I just said good afternoon. That's it," Viktor said.

"Don't talk to me. I don't like you, and I only haven't kicked the shit out of you because you follow Amanda around like a lost puppy, and she's okay," Lukas said.

"I don't do that."

"Yes, you do. Every single day after school, you're always with her."

"We live together."

Lukas's eyes widened. "What?"

I laughed.

"That's how the foreign exchange thing works," Viktor said.

I laughed even harder.

14. Thank you so much for absolutely obliterating Lukas just now. Solid entertainment. Ten out of ten.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Lukas muttered, and even though he didn't even ask to go, he left the room.

I turned to Viktor. "For the record, I still hate you."

Viktor smiled. "That's not true."

"Maybe not, but I certainly don't like you."

"I can live with that."

Neither one of us said anything else as Ms. Harter began the class, but I just like in government, I couldn't really pay attention.

It always bothered me that I didn't know the beginning of Lukas and Viktor's one-way rivalry.

***

After school, Viktor and I went for one final practice. Since tryouts were just two days away, we decided it would be best if he could spend his time relaxing mentally, emotionally, and physically.

15. As much as I hate to admit it, I'll really miss our hockey training sessions. But I know you'll do well in tryouts. And I'm not one to just trust a gut feeling.