Chapter 27

It had been a little over a week since what had happened.

I got little to no sleep last night, everything I looked at reminded me of the vile acts Edward had executed on Kristen and Tom. Were they the only ones he'd murdered? The question sent my mind into a mad flurry of answers as I sobbed further into my pillow. I hadn't called the police, I'm not entirely sure why but I couldn't bring myself to dial the three digits and getting him thrown in prison for the rest of his life.

Thinking of Edward imprisoned made me nauseous, the thought of anything harming him filled my system with immeasurable dread. I terrified myself with such illogical thinking, Query was the only thing stabilizing my otherwise racing mind.

My appearance was a shambles and I made no effort to change it as I fed Query and found some food for myself, settling on the couch to hopefully tune out the incessant ringing in my mind. I tried to focus on the TV show but my eyes kept wandering to the shelf just to the right, the center holding the pictures of Edward and I. I tried to let it go, telling myself it was nothing but a picture but the image was so distracting I found myself off the couch and placing the picture face down so I wouldn't be reminded of him.

I dialed the young photographer, hoping that I wasn't interrupting anything she had with school. The phone rang three times before she picked up. "Hello, Eliza speaking." Her voice stated formally into the line.

"Hey Eliza, it's Alice I hope I'm not interrupting anything." I greet her.

"Oh hi Alice, you aren't interrupting anything, I've got a free period for the next two hours anyway." She explains and I feel relieved that I wasn't intruding.

"Really? Perfect! I was wondering if you would like to have coffee with me? I have something to give you." I offer and I can hear her slight hesitation. "In a public place, of course, I know what you're thinking, it's Gotham after all." I laughed lightly. "Pick the place, I'll pay."

"You don't have to pay." She trailed but I knew she didn't have the money to pay for her own.

"I insist, just pick a place and we'll go." In all honesty, I just needed to get out of this house, the constant reminder of Edward not doing wonders for my mental health.

"Ok, what about Cup at Joe's?" It didn't surprise me that she chose the very place I was hoping to avoid, it was the only cafe that sold decent coffee. I would know. I was going to suggest a different place but my mind drew a blank at any other coffee shop.

"Sure, sounds great." I found myself agreeing to the suggestion on impulse. I tried reassuring myself that I wouldn't see Edward there and kept my false sense of calm.

"Ok, let's say 20 minutes? I'm at the school around the corner." She explains.

"Yeah no worries, see you then." With that I hung up the phone, throwing on a nice outfit and fixing my hair so it didn't look like a literal disaster. The last thing I wanted was for Edward to think that he had caused me to look that way. I grabbed the camera and my purse, sticking my phone and keys in my pocket before saying goodbye to Query and heading out of the house. I'd yet to tell the other tenants that I was the new owner but figured the matter could wait for another time.

I drove to the cafe, parking out the back to make sure my car wasn't seen by anyone in the GCPD. I rushed my way into the cafe, careful not to make myself too noticeable. Eliza was already sitting down, in the seats Edward and I had claimed our own. My heart thumped but I smiled anyway, greeting her as if nothing was wrong.

"Hello, Hello." I surprise her as she glances up from her phone.

"Hey, Alice." She replies, her eyes brightening at the sight of the camera in my hand.