Chapter 19

I didn't leave Edward's side until they got someone to check his injuries, he entwined his hand with mine and if it wasn't under such horrible circumstances I would have been over the moon.

"Ok Mr. Nygma, it looks like the injury is slightly worse than it looks. The bullet is dangerously close to a main artery so we will have to get you to hospital as quick as possible." They began to rush him into an ambulance and my eyes widened.

"What do you mean worse than expected? Is he going to be ok?" I tried to ask them more questions but they weren't having it.

"Sorry Miss but only family members are allowed to accompany him to the hospital." The nurse explained to me abruptly and I looked at Edward who was now laying on the stretcher inside the ambulance.

"Ed I'm going to be right behind the ambulance ok? I'll see you at the hospital, hang in there alright?" My tears had turned to sobs as they shut the door to the ambulance and I could no longer see him. I sprinted to my car only to be stopped by Harvey.

"Woah kid! What happened! Are you hurt? Did that bastard touch you?" He asked referring to Jerome but I shook my head.

"No it's Ed! He got shot and they are taking him to hospital and it could be serious so I've got to get there now." My cries were frantic as I unlocked my car and slid into the diver's seat.

"Hey, be careful. I'm sure he'll be ok, are you sure you aren't hurt?" His concerned tone was something I couldn't handle right now.

"I'm fine but I've got to go." I pulled out onto the street, speeding down the roads like my life depended on it, the only thing I could think about was Edward. Due to the astronomical speed I was traveling at I reached the hospital in no time, parking my car hurriedly and sprinting up to the front desk. "I'm looking for Edward Nygma?" I panted desperately and she looked up to me, a bored expression on her features. She took an agonizing amount of time to type his name into the computer before giving me useless information.

"He's in surgery, you'll have to wait in the waiting area, can I get your name and relation to the patient?" I ran a had through my hair in frustration.

"Alice Morelle, I'm a friend of his." I explained not knowing exactly how to word it.

"Ok, take a seat." She gestured to the waiting room full of people just like me, finding multiple families of the police officer's that were also injured today. I didn't bother thanking her as I took a seat on one of the uncomfortable waiting chairs, my foot bouncing up and down in anticipation. The entire time wondering if he was ok but not having any idea. After an hour of him being in surgery I dialed the number of the only person I knew could make me feel better.

"Lex?" I cried into the phone and I could hear rustling on the other end, murmured voices and then silence.

"Alice? Alice dear what's wrong?" He spoke worriedly into the phone.

"It's Ed." I sobbed. "He got shot trying to save me today and now he's in surgery and I don't know what to do."

"Hush darling it's ok." He spoke in a calm voice. "I'm sure everything is going to be ok, I'm transferring money to put him as top priority right now so he will be getting the best available care. Everything's fine." I was still sobbing uncontrollably.

"But what if it isn't? What if I never see him again?" I questioned him and I heard him sigh.

"Don't think like that dear, you will see him again. He is in good hands." He assured me and I sniffled. "Ok I know how you get in these situations so I'm going to need you to stay on the phone with me ok?"

"Ok." I replied.

"Good, take deep breaths ok? Inhale and exhale, slow and steady." I began to slow my breathing, my heat rate beginning to regulate.