Chapter 16

It seemed that Friday nights had become something we shared every week. So much so that we had declared it an official event between the two of us, promising each other that we would clear our schedules each Friday night in order to spend the time watching movies and eating Chinese food. I'm slowly becoming a master at using chopsticks but Ed begs to differ.

Our movie nights seemed to get later and later each time, last time I didn't get home until 3 in the morning. Edward and I had grown unbelievably closer, to the point where I would leave my pajamas in my car and get changed at his place to save time.

"I'm gonna go get changed be out in five!" I exclaimed, knowing his apartment like the back of my hand and finding the bathroom in no time.

"I'll put the tea on!" He called in reply. I got changed into a pair of comfy pajamas and folded my other clothes, throwing them into the bag I'd brought with me. I left the bathroom, fixing the drawstring of my sweatpants as I made my way back to the kitchen.

"Do you want me to make popcorn?" He spun around so quick I was afraid he'd knock over the teapot. His face was pale and he looked as if he'd seen a ghost.

"How long have you been standing there?" He asked his eyes darting around the room, lo0king anywhere but me.

"I just walked in why?" I asked in confusion, unsure of why he was suddenly acting so different. His shoulders began to relax and his usual smile graced his features.

"No reason, you know where the microwave is." With that he hurried out of the kitchen, no doubt going to set up the movie.

"Okie dokie." I replied but he'd already left me alone in the kitchen. I put the popcorn in the microwave and as it was popping I heard murmuring from the living room. Silently, I walked to the doorway of the living room. I peered in only to find Edward muttering to himself. I could only faintly make out what he was saying.

"We almost got caught, I thought we agreed to not do that while she's over." He was shaking his head, as if he was scolding someone but there was no one else in the room. Well no one I could see anyway. "Oh come on Eddie! She's gotta find out sooner or later! I mean she isn't too intelligent but it wouldn't take much for her to work out what's been going on hm? I mean wake up, she won't stay with you either way." He got up, presumably to get back to the kitchen so I scurried there before him, trying to make it look like I hadn't eavesdropped.

"Popcorn's almost done." I went to retrieve a bowl, coming up only slightly short. I got onto my tip toes but to no avail, I heard a low chuckle from behind me before I felt a large hand place itself on my waist. His slender fingers grasped the bowl before handing it down to me a smirk on his face. It was odd, his demeanor seemed slightly off and it was almost unsettling.

"The movie's set up, I'll take the tea out." Our faces were so close that it brought a blush to my cheeks.

"U-uh sure, be out in a sec." My voice was slightly shaky from the unexpected contact and his sudden change in demeanor. I quickly got the popcorn ready and brought it out, plopping down beside him. He pressed play on the movie but I was far too deep in my thoughts to pay attention to what was going on. What had he meant by going on? Caught doing what? Questions were swirling through my mind to the point that I hadn't noticed how close Edward had moved beside me. He was now almost touching my leg, something that was extremely out of character for Edward.

We had been doing these movie nights for almost a month and a half now, each time doing the same thing and each time leaning something else about the other that we hadn't before. But never once had he acted like this. It was beginnings to worry me.

"Is everything ok Alice? You seem a little off tonight." I shook my head and smiled at him before he placed a cold hand on my forehead, presumably testing my temperature and then tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.