Chapter 13

Lex left early Sunday morning, we spent Saturday together catching up on everything we had missed from each other during the last few months. His company was as good as it always is, my parents had been a lot busier but I knew they preferred it that way. I promised to visit him in Metropolis soon and he left me with a kiss on the forehead and a cheeky smile.

I had the rest of the Sunday to do as I pleased, cleaning my house after Lex and I had basically trashed the whole place with junk food and movies. It was our thing, everytime he would come to my place we would abandon all lavish things and watch horrible movies with cheap junk food because his father would never let him do those things at his own house.

The apartment felt surprisingly empty despite his short stay. The two of us had moved in together before to the dismay of my parents and his visit had reminded me of the year or so we spent in his beautiful mansion that he insisted I didn't pay rent in. I tried to keep my mind off of him and my parents by calling someone that I owed a huge apology to.

"Alice?" His voice sounded extremely surprised to hear from me.

"Hey Ed, how are you?" I tried to make small talk.

"I'm well, how are you?" He replied, his voice in his usual polite tone.

"I'm well." There was a small silence. "I just called to apologize for Friday night, Lex can be a little bit of a trouble stirrer I promise he didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." I apologized to him.

"Oh uh, It's fine. I may not always be the best to converse with in social events." He chuckled nervously.

"No no you were absolutely lovely!" I rushed out reassuringly. "Lex and I shouldn't have put you in that situation." I layed sprawled out on my couch.

"Nonsense, I was very grateful for the invitation, thank you for letting me participate in the celebration." I giggled lightly at his thank you.

"You don't have to thank me Ed." I laughed a little more. "I should be thanking you for coming. Thank you for spending your evening with us, it was really great having you there."  I was glad he couldn't see my face because the shade of red blessing my cheeks was so infuriatingly vibrant. "That wasn't the only reason I called you." I continued.

"Do enlighten me." He responded, slightly wittier than usual, his tone slightly more confident.

"I was wondering what case we would be working on? You said on Friday that it would be important and would occupy our weekend?" I questioned curiously.

"Oh yes um well-" He stumbled over his words before continuing. "It seems as if the Lila Valeska case will need more looking into and it looks as if I won't get the lab results until Thursday or Friday so the most logical thing to ensure that the criminal is caught would be to study the results after work." He explained vaguely, making it sound as logical as possible.

"Well I suppose I could stay back at the lab on Friday..." I trailed, not having anything better to do with my life.

"Actually." He jumped in, his voice seeming to rise slightly. "I was going to suggest we work on the case at my home? If you are comfortable with that." The offer made my mind swarm with unnecessary questions.

"That would be great!" Things came spurting from my mouth before I could overthink them and I was glad that at least I had answered him instead of staying completely silent which is honestly what I thought was going to happy. I could faintly hear a relieved a sigh from the other side of the phone, bringing a cheek-cramping smile to my lips. Had he been as nervous about the offer as I had been about accepting it?

We sound like silly school children.

"I will see you tomorrow then?" He finally said after a prolonged awkward silence.

"What?" I questioned, my mind not completely functioning. "I mean yes! Yes you will because it is Monday and we have work and I will be there because I work there too now and ok I'm rambling you know it is Monday tomorrow oh god I am still talking ok I'm stopping now." I was almost out of breath, giggling nervously at the end hoping to god that he didn't want to retract his probably platonic offer.

"Goodbye Alice." His chuckle resounded through the phone and my blush only got worse.

"Bye Ed." With that I hung up the phone, slamming it down on the couch and looking at it bashfully, he had just asked me to come over to his home on Friday night and somehow I don't think it was completely work related, what Lex had said to me was circulating in my mind.

Had I been blind and not seen that he had shown interest in me? As much as I hated to admit, it had become painfully obvious that my feelings toward Ed was not nearly as platonically as I had originally thought. Over the few weeks we had been getting to know each other at the coffee shop and now that we worked with each other I had learnt alot about him and the more I found out the more I felt attracted to him.

Kristen was also something that could change the game, it wasn't hard to tell that Edward showed interest in her, often adorning a love sick smile and finding ways to see her more often. Truthfully he looked the same as I did when I was around him but the two of us were too in denial to pick it up. Had he ever invited Kristen over? For work or otherwise? It seemed unlikely given the fact that it had grown clear to me that Kristen did not have any feelings toward Edward except annoyance and possibly hatred.

That thought alone made my blood boil, how in the world could you possibly hate such a lovable human? In the time I had known him he had been nothing but kind. He kept a bright smile on my face and his riddles kept me on my toes, always trying harder and harder to figure them out. She treated him unfairly, as did the rest of the GCPD but he always seemed to take it in his stride, smiling wider and continuing on his way.

I was left alone with these pestering thoughts of how attractive and intelligent he was. I was fawning over him as if I was a teenager crushing on the cute guy in class. I spent the night guessing what his house looked like and what would happen while I was there, it was creepy and I should stop but the idea of him actually being interested in me was too exciting for me to think about anything else.

------

This chapter is a little bit of a filler sorry!

The Video above is how I pictured Alice and Lex living together, and how they get along. I actually love Dodie and Evan so much it is becoming a problem.

Sneaky gifs...

Ed's face through the awkward dinner

Ed's face through the awkward dinner. ^^^^^^

~Mikayla